Theres more to the pitbull ban than meets the eye!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
RedQuake
Theres more to the pitbull ban than meets the eye!!!

First off, i don't agree with the ban. Anything with teeth can bite and even my toy breed (Papillion) can dish out a nasty bite.

What is concerning me more than ever is that Michael Bryant has included some very vague rules with the legislation that don't even refer to pit bulls at all. Police now have the right to come into your home and remove and or distroy any dog deemed to be a menance. This means that if your neighbour doesn't like your dog they can call officials and bye bye doggy.

They have failed first, in not defining what exactly *menacing behaviour* means (is a barking dog now considered menacing because it barks at people who walk by the house?) and second because they didn't get input from any experts on dogs or pitbulls. Instead they went straight to what they felt would satisfy the majority of the public. Michael Bryant couldn't even pick out the pitbull on a sheet with 20 dogs. This causes more of a rift because now owners of dogs that *LOOK* like a pitbull will have to prove it isn't. How many people have actual papers stating that? So if you don't and you can't prove it your dog could be up for the needle.

If he had taken the time to listen to the experts for even one second he could have introduced legislation that would actually be affective and reduce bites. As i see it now, they haven't solved the problem. Getting tough with owners of mistrained and violent dogs is one, a muzzle is another. Very simple.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #2
Brownie55
I am sorry to see your politicians are as ignorant as ours. "Dangerous breed" legislation has a long history of failure. It never works the way they intend.

Good luck with your Papillon, you probbaly should not have admitted they can bite though. Could be the focus of the next legislation.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
RedQuake
My opinion is that politicians aren't the brightest light bulbs on the Christmas Tree LOL. It boggles my mind that they would leap way ahead of themselves to please the majority of the public on this issue but bring up health care, unemployment, taxes, the skyrocketing cost of gas, hydro, education etc. and they just sit back with the attitude that there isn't enough money.

All animals bite, its a natural characteristic of survival. Those that work with that to make an animal overtly agressive are the ones that need to be punished! People tend to give animals human characteristics of revenge, hate etc. which is wrong. My dog bit me because i was taking away something from him. He wasn't angry at me, he simply wanted it back and tried to get it the only way he can, by using his mouth. The fact that his aim was off isn't his fault.

When banning anything becomes acceptable it only serves to spark more bans and infringe on peoples rights. Humans have a way to go from one extreme to another. So first you ban one dog, then all dogs (cause they can ALL bite), then cats, then hey look alcohol leads to injury lets ban that and well smoking and gambling and... Accidents happen, people get hurt, sick etc. but bans aren't the way to solve the problems. I'm scared of the domino effect and once it starts it can't be stopped.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!