Genetics inquiry re: striped BCC - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
Munkyboy
Post Genetics inquiry re: striped BCC

I am adding a male striped Guyana BCC to my collection next week. The seller says that the striping is believed to be genetic. If I were to successfully breed him to a normal Guyana BCC female, what percentage of the newbies would show the striping trait, if it proves out to be genetic? Hets? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeus tale.jpg (42.3 KB, 42 views)

Old 02-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
BryonsBoas
Depends

If it is genetic whether the trait is Dominant or Co-Dominant or even recessive.

Dominant - Most or all with have some form of tail stripping/ reverse stripping.

Co-Dominant - Half will show the trait.

Recessive - There will be percentages of hets in the litter but will look normal.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
Munkyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
If it is genetic whether the trait is Dominant or Co-Dominant or even recessive.

Dominant - Most or all with have some form of tail stripping/ reverse stripping.

Co-Dominant - Half will show the trait.

Recessive - There will be percentages of hets in the litter but will look normal.
Thanks for the reply. I guess we'll have to find out next year as he's still got some growing to do yet. I'm not gonna rush him. I'd like to have this beauty around for a very long time to come. He also has some striping down the top of the neck as well as the reverse striping, if that is any indication. Take a look. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeus1.jpg (38.1 KB, 30 views)

Old 02-06-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Striping in Boas

This is a very interesting subject.

The striping trait in boas is codominant. Simply put, this means: the allele that causes the trait will be expressed differently in the various forms. The homozygous form will look different from the wild type (obvious) and the heterozygous form which has traits from both will be different as well.

The easiest way to think about codominance is as a "blending" of the alleles.
Two genetically striped animals bred together will produce striped babies with various degrees of striping.

In your case, breeding your striped Guyana to a normal, you will receive 100% het animals. If the normal is carrying a codominant trait that interacts with the striping allele, then you will receive a mix of these traits.

There are different versions and variations of striping in boas. It is uncertain just how many alleles are at work here. You can see variations from simple connected saddles to full body striping and everything in between.

By the way, it is unknown whether the reverse striping is a codominant trait. As of yet, it has not been proven out. It appears to simply "pop" up in litters.
I have produced a few over the years, but without any real consistency.

Here's a couple of pictures for your viewing enjoyment. These animals were the result of a het to het breeding in 2003. I hope to be reproducing this in 2005.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel feel to ask.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
BryonsBoas
I think Mike covered it better than I did

but you still have an awesome looking male whether its genetic or not. Mike , I need to shop at your place more often.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Munkyboy
Thanks guys. Your information has really helped me to understand things a little better. Mike, Don't forget about me when you produce those stripes.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
BryonsBoas
Mike

Don't forget me when you drop some some of those black tail boas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!