Incubator - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
connorrm
Incubator

Ok Everyone,
I am working on a new incubator (go me and my craftsman skills ) Anyway....It is your basic ole' fridge. I am trying to figure out how much flexwatt it would take to wire one up. And which is the better thermostat for it. I use a johnsons thermostat on my rack. But what about the fridge?? I plan to use the freezer part as a gecko incubator and the fridge part for evertyhing else requireing higher temps of around 90. Any thoughts/ideas. Matt this a good ?? for you to answer cause guess where I will be buying the supplies from LOL!

Old 04-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
hhmoore
Since Matt hasn't gotten here yet, I'll jump in to get things started. when I was preparing to build my incubator, it was recommended (by Matt) that I go with a proportional thermostat. I'm glad I did. the temperature is alot more consistent than I get with my Js. As for how much - I don't want to give a specific # of ft or watts (esp since I don't know the dimensions of the particular fridge), but I will say: don't try to use the minimum amount you can get away with. the idea is that you want the heat source to be able to get to/maintain the temps easily. better to err on the high side, imo, the proportional 'stat will take care of the rest. Good to know someone in that neck of the woods needs that big an incubator. I had planned on doing the same thing, but my family got rid of the ol fridge. good luck

Old 04-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
connorrm
HOLY...you are like ten miles away LOL! I am actually working on building another smaller incubator as well out of freezer panels...which means you can incubate outside to about -20 LOL pretty insulated! What kinds of Herps you got??

Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
hhmoore
guess you missed that part last time we posted, lol. I lived in Valley Falls for a bit, and am out that way semi regularly (family there and johnsonville). as for what I have these days, hardly anything compared to when I was BIG into things, lol...but some pretty cool stuff that I don't need permits for - gotta talk to my old friends at DEC to see if it is worth dealing with that stuff again. i'm curious as to the impact of the new law on things like dwarf retics and venomous (I used to have lotsa hots, properly permitted of course)

Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
connorrm
Hots are easy enough to keep....25 bucks and an application to DEC...I had to get my permit for my herpetology class at Cobleskill. I kept copperheads and pit vipers...blech hated dealing with them. Out of fear comes respect I guess. I am actually new to this town. Moved in next to my aunt and uncle the carys...They decided I needed a cheap place to live while I finished my masters degree. LOL. Anyway, as far as the retics, burmese, and most of the BCIs they are officially BANNED. Some of the smaller boids like the balls were amended to be ok. I know quite a few DEC guys. Colin Bursey, Deming Lindsley, Tony Patrick. Keith Becker. Anyway, I don't know if the dwarfs are ok. My friend is grandfathered in because he has had them before the law but if he wants to keep breeding he needs to get the permit.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
hhmoore
when I had my permit it was still free. the new law mentions venomous, but they were already regulated, so I'm not sure. as far as boids, initially they were all banned. my understanding is that it was revised to include only retics, burms, rocks, amethystines, and green anacondas - guess I will have to find out for sure. I was also under the impression that if you already had any animal regulated by this law that you had 6 months to get a permit (I forget the exact phrasing), but I haven't looked at it in some time. speaking of the herpetology class at cobleskill, I did a couple of workshops on venomous reptiles for that class (that would have been around 1997).

Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
connorrm
I was there from 99-01. I had kevin berner, scott somolais, Doc Losito, and Doc foster.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!