DSL vrs Dial Up - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #11
Pug
I pay $43 (with taxes) per month for Comcast High Speed Internet (cable) with a rated speed of 4.0/384 and usually get very close to it. I used to have DSL, but it was IDSL wich is an ISDN based tech that limited me to 144/144. With dial up I had earthlink and never got anything over 33.3k unless I used their pay per minute 1-800 numbers. Surprisingly, I rarely have issues and when I do, Comcast has been helpful in resolving them

Give your connection a speed test here: http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest

005-10-11 06:54:09 EST: 3717 / 360
Your download speed : 3806621 bps, or 3717 kbps.
A 464.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 368867 bps, or 360 kbps.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
Matt Haines
Even though my Optimum cable service is a rip off by a monopoly called Cablevision, it is a fast connection.

Download Speed: 4383 kbps (547.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 842 kbps (105.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
Jim O
Verizon is wiring various areas with a dedicated fiber optic network for internet access, called FiOS. They put the lines down in my neighborhood in August and expect the service to be available shortly. The prices for home use are:
  • Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95
  • Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95
  • Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95

The middle price is comparable to cable plans and much faster. The least expensive one is cheaper than cable. It requires that you be wired with Cat 5 to the router(s). Is anyone here using this service or seen it in use?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
Matt Haines
I haven't seen anyone using that in this area. I would have to say that you should definately get it. I've never seens poor performance from a fiber line unless most of the strands were broken.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #15
Pug
I would love the 15mbps option, but it's not available here. A friend of mine says that Verizon claims he'll be able to get it within a few months. When Comcast first told me I would be able to get cable in 2-3 months, it turned out to actually take a year and a half

Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #16
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug
I would love the 15mbps option, but it's not available here. A friend of mine says that Verizon claims he'll be able to get it within a few months. When Comcast first told me I would be able to get cable in 2-3 months, it turned out to actually take a year and a half
Well the fiber optic cable is in the gound so I would think that they would want to start capitalizing on their investment. Hopefully it won't be too long. LOL.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug
Verizon maybe right. They are in the works of laying down thousands of miles in fiber optics all over the nation as we speak. I talked to a guy the other day who works for verizon and he was talking about just getting back from a 3 month trip to Texas were he laid down fiber optics all across the state.

They are currently expanding their fios network everyday. They are even launching FIOS TV. A cable type TV service. Going to be alot of "On-Demand" type movies and stuff like that.

Here is where you can check to see if you can get FIOS Click Here
(The phone qualification only works if you have verizon home phone service, if you don't have verizon home phone use this link )

I only wish FIOS service was in my area. I used to pay $45 a month for RoadRunner till i decided to drop direct TV to get time warner cable, which they then gave me RR for $30 a month now. But i would gladly goto paying $45 again for a 15megabit connection. Thats triple my speed of my road runner connection.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #18
Jim O
Follow up...

FiOS just became available in my area. I had been checking their site every few days and on 10/15 it showed me as available. They do a free install (including running the Cat 5 inside) and supply their router if you commit for 12 months. I set it up for 10/25 and they have already been here marking utilities and measuring for cable to come from the access point on the network to my telephone interface on the side of the house. I'm guessing they are going to do a direct burial. They also showed a price of $54.95/month for the 30/5 not the much higher number on the site.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #19
Jim O
It went in without a hitch (so far). Amazingly fast too.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 PM   #20
Matt Haines
Nice!!! You lucky mofo. If I had that kind of speed I would set up a few dual mobo servers and offer web hosting. Maybe when I move it will be available in my new area.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!