Progress with shippers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
atspiderling
Progress with shippers

After someone sent me a tarantula that was DOA because the shipper deliberately mishandled the package, I wanted to try to work to change shippers views about shipping invertebrates and reptiles. I was told that the people on this list are very active in trying to make changes. I'm thinking that if the reptile people and the invertebrate got together, maybe we could do something to make the carriers more animal friendly. Where can find more information about the legal shipping of these animals? Is anything being done that I can help with?

Elizabeth

Old 11-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
YOu need to go to each carrier to get their rules by state as to what they take and deliver, as I can ship things here that are legal but may not be legal in another state they will not deliver the pacakge.

All shippers need to become certified in their state to ship legal reptiles.

All buyers need to ONLY buy reptiles that are legal in their state (city).

Packages need to be correctly marked so that there is no hold up for the "Pershiable item" label only.

There is alot to do with the carriers but also with buyers and sellers, I for one do not know what is legal in every state, town, city or county and may unknowingly ship a reptile that is not legal for the buyer to receive.

The shipper needs to verify that the animal is acceptable with the carrier, if possible that is it legal for the buyer and label and pack it properly.

The Buyer needs to make sure that the animal is legal for them to have and that is acceptable for the carrier to deliver it to them.

There is a lot more to it than making carriers more animal friendly, they have been lied to, had large snakes get out in their trucks etc.

Its a large JOINT effort for all parties on the selling, shipping and carrying end of the reptile to be well informed and ship legally!

Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
thesnakeman
Exclamation My 2 cents

I just learned about the legalities involved with shipping live, harmless snakes. I had no idea about the Lacy Act, until a friend recently told me. I personally think it stinks! I think that if the snake is HARMLESS, and it is packaged properly, and shipped overnight, express, there shouldn't be any need for the shipping company to know what's in the box. In a nutshell,...it's none of their bloody beezwax!!! If they know what's inside, it's just an excuse to mistreat, or mishandle the package, or steal the contents. I think they should just focus on doing their jobs correctly. And we should focus on packaging our snakes in such a way that the shipping company never finds out what is inside. As long as I'm shipping legal, harmless animals, it should be a non-issue. However, all that goes out the window when someone ships something illegal, or potentially dangerous. Either way, they need to mind their own business, and we need to be extremely careful about how we package! I personly do not want anyone to be aware of what is in that box. Period. So I'm considering selling my animals in person only. I don't need any trouble. I don't need the hassle of getting certified, and listing the contents of my packages. And I don't want people looking at my packages the way they do when they know there is a snake inside. And I sure as heck don't want them to treat my packages the way they treat snakes! You all can do what you want. But as for me, I vote for privacy, and for shippers to be more careful how they pack and ship their snakes. A properly packed snake will not escape.There is absolutely no excuse for an escape in transit. And if this has happened to you, then I think you need a kiwi injection. That's a military term meaning a foot in your backside! Pack those critters right! The first rule of keeping snakes is the same as the first rule of shipping them,..."If escape is even remotely possible, it WILL occur!" Just my 2 cents.
Tony-thesnakeman-Carlisle.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
hhmoore
It sounds as if you are under the misconception that the Lacey Act is something the shipping companies came up with, or is for their benefit. In actuality, it is a Federal law that was initially passed in 1900 (and amended many times since). Regardless of your feelings about this law, keep in mind that there are criminal and civil penalties for violating it.
That said, I agree that sometimes I would prefer not to advertise the specific contents of my shipments. Not that there is a huge rate of reptile theft during shipment by common carrier, but I don't want mine to be the exception. I also like to keep my life out of the public view...read: it's none of my neighbors' business that I keep snakes.
And that stuff about packaging the animals correctly....that should be a no brainer. Unfortunately, people have screwed this up at an alarming rate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!