Snout scalation Corallus caninus - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Keith Campbell
Snout scalation Corallus caninus

Are there more than two different snout scalation patterns found in C. caninus? I've seen pictures of Amazon basin morphs with many smaller scales on snout, and northern morph with the larger scales on the snout. I've personally seen another emerald with snout scalation pattern having fewer and larger scales on it's snout that I've not seen pictured in any publications. Is this something odd or just another version of a nothern? Does anyone have any info or pics. on this subject?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snout scales small.jpg (32.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg down sized.jpg (30.3 KB, 50 views)

Old 04-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
ravensgait
I've seen animals like these before, not many but I did notice the difference. My thoughts are that you have the Amazon Basin local at one end and the Guyanan or Northern Local at the other. Basins tend to be bigger and stockier and the farther north you go the slimmer Emeralds seem to be(and nippier). I have a HY baby with the bigger scales like in your second photo. Just can't get a decent photo of the little guy or I'd post one. It is interesting to see the differences in these guys. Randy

Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Keith Campbell
Thanks for some info. I'm wondering how many etbs out there have the lager+fewer snout scales? The pics. are my two imports the female pic.1,the male pic.2. The male is new, I just yanked a good 50 ticks off of him and fixed up a bit of mouth rot. I'll see how their disposition is in the future. I hope those big snout scales don't mean nasty attitude, yet so far he's been nothing to work on so far. They are both the same size+age, I may put them together in the future if they acclimate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!