My Eaetern Milk NOT eating? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Derespina Knives
My Eaetern Milk NOT eating?

Recieved this several weeks ago, great looking lil' girl. A bit temperamental, sometimes docile, other times easily aggravated. Use live and F/T small mice for this girl a few times already, never eaten any. So, I gave up on mice and bought a small Anole with hopes she'd take to that instead. Still nothing, Anole's been here for a week now, and nothing. She show's no interest. She pooped once that I can tell and it was small and looked normal. Never see her drink water either. She sleeps all day and is up briefly at night.

Now I realize that she's probably taking time to get used to her new environment but I am beginning to get worried. She looks healthy, no bumps or mites apparent. She hasn't shed ter either. What should I do?

Anyone have any ideas on what might coax her to feed?

I almost bought a Garter snake to see if she'd cannibalize it, at least she might eat.

A friend of mine held her for all of 20 seconds before she tried to bite him. With no prompting, nada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
hhmoore
I checked through some of your old posts (luckily, there were few enough to do that, lol) - is this the "CB 2 yr old" that you had such difficulty acquiring in the first place?
I will assume that you have the setup correct, so on to the nonfeeding issue.
I've always had better luck with rat pups (pinks) with young adult milks, in fact most of my breeders still prefer them over mice, so that is a simple option to try. It is also not unreasonable to think that she might just be going off food due to the season (especially if she is not CB, but we won't go there). Personally, I would almost be inclined to cool her down if she doesn't take anything in the near future - you want to do it before she starts losing weight. Good luck with her....& don't forget to feed your new pet anole

Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Derespina Knives
hhmoore, you are correct! it's the one and the same. I thought about that but have just been hoping it wasn't cool down time just yet. She doesn't really hide much, but stays out in th open just sleeping. When she does move around, she tends to slither on her side sometimes too? strange. But if you pick her up she will start to flex her muscles. She will rattle her tail alot also. I suspect she's not a cb as specified. But she's a beauty. Rat pups I think are too big for her. Her head is very small and her body not very thick or long either. But i'll try it...

The anole's pretty cool though, lt's me pick him up and pet him, his eyes close and he seems to enjoy a good scratch...LOL

Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
cka
A two year old eastern milk should be able to take down a rat pup, and here's something you can do to help it. Place the thawed out pup in a paper towel and "roll" the pup between your hands. This helps to "stretch it out", breaking up some of the smaller bones to aid digestion, and makes the prey item easier to get down, due to it's "stretched out" look. A slice or two with a razor across its back will aid in digestion and add some scent to the air, maybe stimulating a feeding response. Good luck :*)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!