Moving Help: Shipping - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
HadesBP18
Moving Help: Shipping

I'm moving to California on May 9th and I need help with shipping my animals. I've shipped a few snakes before, but now I need help shipping multiple snakes in one package. I'm taking a 5 foot boa, a 4 foot ball python, a 3 foot ball python, a baby BCI, and a Bearded Dragon. I'm shipping the Beardie separate to avoid exposure of the possible bacteria they carry. I was thinking of making separate containments inside the box itself separated with the styrofoam and placing heat packs inbetween the two touching pieces of styrofoam.

So take a box, divide it into four, but double line the styrofoam that separates the 4 containers in order to place the heat packs in between.

Does that make sense? I was hoping some experienced people would have a better way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
KathyLove
Why not just use a big styro lined box, and put a smaller box (or boxes) inside of it? That would be easier and more self contained than making dividers. I would be sure to put the baby boa and beardie in hard containers to avoid crushing, but the 3 - 5' snakes can probably be separated with simple styro barriers, or even just lots of crumpled paper to spread the weight, with the smallest on top, of course.

I would be really careful about using heat packs in May. If you use FedEx, they stop in Memphis where it will probably be quite warm at night by May. It is so easy to overheat the animals. I would much rather them be slightly chilled than overheated. If you do decide to use heat, put lots and lots of crumpled paper or something similar between any animals and the heat packs, to avoid close contact and overheating. And of course, you probably already know that the packs use oxygen and that you have to plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!