moving need shipping help? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
tormtk
moving need shipping help?

ok im moving from Memphis to wyoming. I only own 1 snake an albino corn and she has been mine and my girlfriends pet for years. I have never shipped a snake, and just want to know the safest way to ship. Wyoming does not have the best service when it comes to ground delivery, price is not a consern i just want to see her get here safe and sound. I have found plenty of info on packaging its just what service to use, or can i find a business that will ship for me.any advise is welcome.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
monkeywrench133
I'd say that if you're driving to make the move, you might be better off taking the snake with you in an insulated box with a couple heat packs. Put the snake in a pillow case, tie that closed, and put that in the box with the heat pack on the outside of the pillow case. That way you can take him out to check on him, and give him water when you stop for the night. Be cheaper that way.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
tormtk
im flying

sry i didnt make it clear that this trip will be made by air and the airline doesn't allow snakes of anykind. I hav emoved quite a few times and always carried her with me. But this time i have to ship and just want some advise.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
KathyLove
Your safest bet is to find a reputable breeder or dealer in your area who ships on a regular basis. Ask if he / she will ship for you for a fee. Shipping can be complicated to do properly, especially if temps are very hot or cold. Experience can be important to know how to pack for various conditions.

Since cost is not important, ask to use a larger box (insulated, of course). It will cost more, but takes longer to heat up or cool off. And be sure to pick up at the nearest FedEx office or airport, rather than have it delivered to a home or even business, for the safest option.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
hhmoore
Of the 3 major overnight carriers, only one "knowingly" accepts snakes...and there is a process to go through to obtain the waiver to ship them. Delta Dash also requires that the shipper be "known/recognized"...again, there is a process (also a fee).
Since this is a one time shipment, you might find it easier to utilize a local shipper, as Kathy said. If, for whatever reason, that doesn't work, you can check with Northwest Airlines...they don't require any fancy footwork.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
KathyLove
If you decide to do it yourself on NW Airlines, here is some info on packing:

http://arbreptiles.com/shipping/index.shtml

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!