Thinking About Getting an Iguana - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remelody
Thanks, that's great for my care manual. Now even more pages to print out. Muahahahaha.
No problem!! Glad to help!!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
Bar None Reptiles
Cool! Good to know that it is more conclusive now. Not like I ever planned on breeding the ones I had anyway, but it helps when you are naming them. Glad I learned something new today aside from giant kelp species, blah stupid essay for school. Sorry petfinder didn't help. That was about all I could think of aside from hitting reptile shows. It's rare to find one, but I wouldn't give up. The day you do is the day one will be posted! Best I can say is research alot.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
Remelody
Okay, so one of the two pet stores selling iguanas is pretty good, I'd say.
They're blue-diamond green iguanas, apparently. Canadian bred. They're young, and eat a huge variety of good fruits and vegetables. The people there are very knowledgeable and say that they try not to encourage the purchase of iguanas due to the fact that they're high-maintenance. We talked for quite a while and I think the store is trustworthy.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Stardust
I agree with not buying at the pet stores. I have three adopted iguanas and would not trade any of them for some of the store bought ones I have seen.
While the store does not encourage people buying an iguana I have to wonder why they are selling them in the first place then

As far as male vs. female, I have one male and two females, in my experience with them the males tend to get much prettier but (and again this is my own experience) the price paid is that the male is more aggressive and messier then the females. He is not always aggressive and I can control his temps a bit so he is not in season for as long but he is messier when he eats and can and does get back at me if food is a little later then normal or something by pooping where he wants and then dragging it around as he walks thru it. He is a character. My females are very neat while eating and are trained to go in the bathtub which is nice for me with clean up duty.
Also the females do not seem to be as color aggressive. Around Miggs (the male, and yes the name is from "silence of the lambs") certain colors I wear or patterns can set him off, I do not find this with the females as much. They are time consuming, but for me can bring lots of pleasure and laughs. They are not animals I recommend but if you are willing to take the time, get to know and handle (handling should be an everyday routine) and understand that one must always be careful (up to 120 small razor sharp teeth at any given time) not to mention the tail and nails then this can be a wonderful pet.
Good luck, please do tons of research and just check out the adoption places in your area before making your final decision.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!