Thermostat. 1 sensor but multiple plugs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Kingetula
Thermostat. 1 sensor but multiple plugs

I have used lights in the past for heat. This time I am going with underbelly heat with my new cages. I know I need a thermostat but what I don't get is that these thermostats have 1 sensor but can adjust heat for multiple cages. I've tried a thermostat before and one cage was hotter or cooler than the other so...

What am I doing wrong or can someone please tell me how to set this up correctly please.

I'll have 3 cages hooked up to one thermostat. (mostly for heat after they eat and during the winter)

Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
DThomas
The cages need to be exactly the same with the exact same heat sources to provide consistent temps with one t-stat. You also need to plug all of them in at the same time.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
hhmoore
Another factor is positioning. Stacked cages often show temp differences - the bottom typically being the cooler, with the top being a few degrees warmer - especially if the bottom cage doesn't have some sort of insulating barrier blocking the cool air from the floor.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Kingetula
Now that I think about it. I think I used a rheostat and not a thermostat that one time. (zoo med I think) That may have been the problem.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
hhmoore
If the enclosures and heating devices were not the same, you would end up with different results regardless of what controller you used (unless there were separate controllers, of course)...but if the device you used had a probe, it was a thermostat.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Kingetula
Thanks guys,

Where can I find a quality thermostat that has at least 3 plug-ins for heating devices. I know there are some out there...

Helix Controls
Spyder Robotics
(More???)

I guess my question is what brand and model is known for reliability and quality and where can I find a good deal on them?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
mrcsk8ter44445
Johnson i think they're like 65 bucks...heres the different ones http://mgreptiles.com/thermomain.html

just the johnson, http://mgreptiles.com/johnson1.html

Old 06-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
hhmoore
DThomas sells Johnsons Controls Thermostats (and for now, anyway) Rancos. www.dxreptiles.com
Reptile Basics sells Johnsons Controls, Rancos, and Helix. http://www.reptilebasics.com/store/home.php?cat=250
lots of other places, too. Check out any prospective business on the BOI, before purchasing

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!