ok genetics guys....solve this one! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
zeewhiz
ok genetics guys....solve this one!

Actually it should be easy....I've got two breedings thats going to be happening this year. I would like for you guys to comment on what my clutch possibilites may be...i.e. whether Im gonna get all normals or some morphs and what kind of morphs....

Breeding #1
Sunglow Female to Pastel Ghost Male

Breeding #2
Miami Female to Normal male het. hypo, motley, and 1 more thing, which I forgot....

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Sunglow x Pastel Ghost = Normals het Amel, Anery & Hypo

Miami x Normal = Normals possible het whatever genes that male is carrying
(some of the offspring from this pairing may look "Miamish")

Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
zeewhiz
for the sunglow/pastel, are you saying normals het amel, anery, &hypo (as in triple het) or do you mean normals, anerys, and hypos? sorry for the tardness! oh BTW, I also have a female hypo motley, but I dont think shes going to be ready this year. which male (listed above) should I breed her to once the time comes? common sense says the normal triple het, but would the pastel ghost throw anything into the mix?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
zeewhiz
I forgot to add, last year I bred my Miami to my pastel ghost and got all normals, and they were wicked clean with crisp patterns. very miami-ish as well. if my miami throws normals again after I mate her with the normal triple het (which she should) I think I am going to sell her and go with something else. what would you guys recommend going by the males I have now?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Sunglow x Ghost will produce Normals het Amel, Anery & Hypo as I said.

If you Normal male is definitely het Hypo Motley, I would pair him with your Hypo Motley when the time comes. You would produce Normals het Hypo Motley, Hypos het Motley, Motleys het Hypo & Hypo Motleys.

If you paired the Hypo Motley with the Ghost, you would produce Normals het Hypo, Anery, Motley and Hypos het Anery Motley.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
zeewhiz
thanks for the help! is there any book you would recommend to help me understand genetics?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
As far as what new females you could get to pair with your males...That depends on what interests you. I would personally go with an Amber Motley for the Normal het Hypo Motley and a Ghost Stripe for the Ghost. Your current males really limit you on what "interesting" babies you can produce.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Charles Pritzel wrote two reptile related genetics books. The Cornsnake Morph Guide is an annual Cornsnake book he publishes and Genetics of Herpers is his newest for general reptiles. I haven't heard any word about a 2008 CMG yet.

http://cornguide.com/

Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
zeewhiz
yeah I plan on expanding my collection as time goes on.... actually what interests me the most are the muted morphs, like the anerys, ghosts, opals, lavenders, etc... what I would really like to produce would be a pastel ghost motley... but to me, anything other than "normal" is a successful clutch!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!