Some more hypo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Some more hypo

Pics of some hypos, the first 3 are siblings from a late '06 litter born here.

Velvet, the only normal harli I kept from the hypo harli litter enjoying my favorite rum:

She didn’t want to let go!

Here she is in her too-small rack (larger rack is in process of being built)

Candy, one of my hypo harli keepers.

This is one of the harlis I planned to sell but now I am not so sure and might keep her.

She tied a knot in my sleeve and didn’t want to let go!

Silly snake!

I picked up this cute little hypo (poss het albino) female this past weekend after the Sacramento show... didn't want to mess with her too much so just snapped the quick pics.

I thought this one was cute:

There's just something about hypos I really love.
Thanks for looking!
-April

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Laura Fopiano
Love the new one April.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Boa4u
Velvet is quite impressive for a normal, can almost pass for a hypo, very pretty..

Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Thanks! I realized after I posted it that only 2 of the snakes posted are actually hypos. ha, it's been a long day! Velvet had me confused, I thought she was a hypo at first. I have a feeling she'll look a lot like her mom when she's all grown up and I'm glad I kept her.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
I think they all look great. I do like that first one though. She's pretty. Nice and clean girl there.

I don't get, nor have I ever gotten, the whole Harlequin thing. Got an easy explanation? I can see they are clean, and some reduced black around the saddles, but I've also seen plain old normal Colombians that looked similar. J/C

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I don't get, nor have I ever gotten, the whole Harlequin thing. Got an easy explanation?
The whole trait isn't really understood yet. Tim (the originator) says it appears to be an incomplete dominant trait. It really refers to a specific bloodline. Harlis typically result in boas that have lots of pink and orange coloration which becomes better with age. They also tend to have aberrant patterns. You can read more about the trait here: harlequinboa.net although the website hasn't been updated in a while. The more harlequin blood or the closer the boa is to the line, the more color and aberrancies there are. There were some patternless boas produced in this bloodline but I don't think it's been repeated. My plans are to eventually produce some F2s and some sunglow harlis in hopes of making very colorful aberrant hypos and sunglows. It's a long term plan as I only have a small collection. These babies were the result of my high pink female Zahara (pic of her looking her best):

And a hypo harli that I had on loan from Tim. Here is a pic of the father with one of my normal salmon boas as a color comparision:

I personally like the harlequins and believe there is a lot of potential for them. Other people don't see it.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Seeing it next to a normal salmon in that last picture shows the difference a lot. Quite a bit lighter and brighter then a normal Salmon. Interesting.

Good luck on the Harliglow. That sounds like it will be something neat. Anyone else make one yet, or aiming for it? Like I said, I don't know squat about them. I'll check out that link a bit later and see what it says.

Thanks!
Rick

Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Good luck on the Harliglow. That sounds like it will be something neat. Anyone else make one yet, or aiming for it?
Thanks! Got my fingers crossed that the plans work out, hopefully I'll see one in 2012 or so. I know there are harlequins het sharp from '06 and het kahl from '08 but I don't believe anyone has made the albino or sunglow yet. Some have been crossed into Bcc as well but I'm not a big fan of that. There are some killer hypo motley harlequins out there (called Hotleys) that I drool over.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus

Not a big fan of crossing that sub species barrier either. I'm not too fond of crossing certain locality Boas either. Just no need, except greed.

I'll have to look up a picture of a Hotley. I like Motleys, and would love a Salmon Motley, or Sunglow Motley one day. Almost as much as I want a Bloody Sunglow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!