First snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Payara
First snake

I am about to get a month old Male Tangerine Hypo Honduran Milk. He is taking F/T pinkie mice once a week. I was planning on keeping him in a spare 10 gallon aquarium with pine or aspen bedding. I had a few other questions concerning his care.

1. I live in TX and my condo stays between 75- 82 during the day and at night stays at a constant 75. I was planning on using a 32 W compact fluorescent light on one side of the tank. I figured it will generate enough heat. Considering my situation do I need a heat source? Before the cooler weather hits I'll be purchasing a Ultratherm Heat Pad. What do you all think?

2. I have heard mixed opinions on using a separate container to feed the snake. What do you all think?

3. What type feeding schedule do you guys recommend? Should I feed him once a week and do you guys recommend a fasting day, so basically I feed him 3 x a month.

4. Should I provide a deli cup filled with moist sphagnum moss?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks again

Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Payara
please

Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Kiote_9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payara View Post
I am about to get a month old Male Tangerine Hypo Honduran Milk. He is taking F/T pinkie mice once a week. I was planning on keeping him in a spare 10 gallon aquarium with pine or aspen bedding. I had a few other questions concerning his care.

DON'T USE PINE!!! It can kill your snake. Aspen or cypress, and I don't use cypress, myself.

If you are going to keep him on aspen please feed in either a separate container or at least set his prey on a piece of plastic so he doesn't ingest substrate. When I had smaller corns I put a small sterlite with the prey in the snakes tank so they could climb inside to eat.

1. I live in TX and my condo stays between 75- 82 during the day and at night stays at a constant 75. I was planning on using a 32 W compact fluorescent light on one side of the tank. I figured it will generate enough heat. Considering my situation do I need a heat source? Before the cooler weather hits I'll be purchasing a Ultratherm Heat Pad. What do you all think?

The snake wont need light. Use a UTH made for a 10 gallon tank and put it on one end so the snake can thermoregulate between hot and cold.

2. I have heard mixed opinions on using a separate container to feed the snake. What do you all think?

I feed in the same container, house my snakes separately, and most of them are on newspaper so I can feed them in their houses easily. The two that are on aspen get fed in a sterlite.

3. What type feeding schedule do you guys recommend? Should I feed him once a week and do you guys recommend a fasting day, so basically I feed him 3 x a month.

I feed my younger snakes every 5-7 days till they are about 6 months old then it is every 7-10 days. At about 1 year they go to every other Saturday---ish. Feeding schedules aren't carved in stone. In the wild they eat when they can catch something, so if you feed a couple of days early or late it's not a big deal. I keep a calendar so I know when they ate. You don't need to fast them, it's up to you.

4. Should I provide a deli cup filled with moist sphagnum moss?

Keeping a snake in a tank you more need to keep the screen top covered than provide a moist hide. My male jungle-corn is the only snake still in a tank and he is in a 20 long with a UTH, a hide, a log, a waterdish big enough for him to soak in, and a screen top covered with a folded beach towel to keep in the humidity. He sheds just fine. Again, it is up to you.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks again
Just my opinion :-)

Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Payara
Thanks a lot Shelly, I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions

Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Kiote_9
You are most welcome!

Please post pictures when you get your little guy.

If you want a nice source for frozen pinkies there is The Mouse Factory in Texas. I used to buy my feeders from them and they are the nicest people with great merchandise. You buy 1 bag and it should last till your snake is ready to go up to the next size. That is, if you don't mind keeping a bag of mice in your freezer....

Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Payara
Will do...I am placing the order with Joe tomorrow and just ordered the heating and hides from Reptile Basics. I'll post some pics of the lil guy by Friday. Thanks again

Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Payara
So I got the lil guy this Wednesday from Joe Exposito he looks awesome and he ate his first meal Thursday. And now he's about to shed. I'll be posting pics this coming week.

I had 2 quick question about heating. I bought a Ultratherm Undertank Heater (6"x11") from Reptile Basics for his 10 gallon enclosure and placed the UTH inside the aquarium, placed newspaper over it, and shredded aspen over the newspaper. I do not have a thermostat yet. So do you guys think that the placing the heater under all that will still produce a healthy heat gradient or should i remove the newspaper?

Secondly, he's a lil bit timid. I have handled him twice and both times hes urinated on me. I really don't care about that but other than time can anyone give some handling/interacting advice in order to get him more comfortable around me.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance

Old 09-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
evilcowboy420
Personally I would place the pad under the tank. These things even running at 5 watts can get really hot. If you notice the snake not going at all on the heated side it may be a little too hot fir him.

When you handle him a bit more he will stop musking you. However if you put him down right when he does it then it will re-enforce that musking you worked and he will keep doing it. Just keep holding him as unpleasant as it may be and he will stop.

Milks settle down well and they are quick little guys but a lot of fun. I have a Anery Hondoran Milk that my wife claimed as her own because it was "so pretty" and the snake is an awesome little girl but still gets a bit scared when she is first picked up but she never musks or bites.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Kiote_9
I agree about putting the heat pad under the tank. It's much safer and it's easier to regulate the temps that way. I don't use a thermostat for my little UTH's, I use thickness of mewspaper to keep it where I want it. You have to be careful with it, but it's do-able.

As far as the musking goes, just handle him more frequently and if you put a towel on your lap then hold the snake over the towel it'll save your clothes from getting musky. My new baby burm squirted all over me the first few times I held him, but I didn't put him down even to clean up. Now he hisses a lot, but no more mess.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
evilcowboy420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiote_9 View Post
I agree about putting the heat pad under the tank. It's much safer and it's easier to regulate the temps that way. I don't use a thermostat for my little UTH's, I use thickness of mewspaper to keep it where I want it. You have to be careful with it, but it's do-able.

As far as the musking goes, just handle him more frequently and if you put a towel on your lap then hold the snake over the towel it'll save your clothes from getting musky. My new baby burm squirted all over me the first few times I held him, but I didn't put him down even to clean up. Now he hisses a lot, but no more mess.
lol fun times with the burm. I would have thought they would just flat out bite you over going to the bathroom on you lol. Also that would be a great Bounty commercial.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!