Required profile fields. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamgirl99471 View Post
Why should people who are honest want to hide where they are from?
Because we may be from a small town and dont want everyone to know our business... or what we have. I cant do anything without someone telling dad. Yes... it is that small of a town around here.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #12
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleria View Post
... but it sadly seems that most that like to hide the simple info such as real name or general location just have something more to hide.
I had a general location... I had my state listed... Maybe its because of what I do for a living... but do I really want to make it easier for someone to find me. What if that someone has less than pure motives?

I guess thats the drawbacks of living in a small town.

This rule I dont really like. I had my state.... I was honest about where I lived. I have my real name... no biggie. Its taken me 4 years just to put my biz number on my site. I kinda like my privacy. I dont let folks come to my house... and if I do local business.... its done two towns over.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
I kinda like my privacy.
I empathize with what you are saying. There is a growing invasion of privacy in our world and it isn't good. From electronic tracking to airport xrays that show, well, too much, to videotaped public areas, it seems like nothing we do is private any more and we are always told that giving up our basic privacies is for our own good. Independence is shrinking and the nanny state is growing.

I don't think it is an all or nothing deal though. I think we all give up something in order to be afforded protections from those who would hurt us.

I am a member of one other site that requires my full name, they also require a full adress but keep it on file. From what I have seen, it has little spam and the people have civil conversations. Is that a result of the ID info? I don't know, I've been on other boards where people are simply unnacceptably uncivilized and I leave those places.

I've been here for years. I've seen the rough edges on the site gradually get smoothed out. I've seen the classifieds grow substantially. These are good changes, IMHO.

Is site membership worth the new request? I decided yes, for now. We all know Rich is an individualist and I know the decision to do this took some thought. I'm willing to go along but I understand and empathize with those who are thinking it over.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
Because we may be from a small town and dont want everyone to know our business... or what we have. I cant do anything without someone telling dad. Yes... it is that small of a town around here.
If you are following the rules and are not keeping anything you shouldn't be keeping there should be absolutely no reason for you to worry about what anybody tells Dad. Oh, and believe me you, Dad already knows.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
deborahbroadus
It doesn't seem like many of the members are having doubts about putting up their location. I beleive a lot may understand that if anyone wants their location information for evil purposes, there are many other ways to get it.

They can do a google, pay detective services, conduct a transaction with the person. IMO, revealing the location (not actual address) is one of the tradeoffs of running an actual business that is recognized as such.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
hhmoore
For the record, I can relate to both sides of this. I avoided listing a specific location for a long time, and for several reasons. I try to keep the reptile side of my life somewhat private these days. I don't do business from my home, and I actively discourage the idea of people coming over to see what I have. Since I do post pictures of some of my animals, I didn't want to broadcast my location. On top of that, I've been threatened with physical violence by a few people that are definitely close enough to act on it - why make things easier for them?

On the other hand, I get what Rich is trying to do...and I support the concept of it enough to go along (Besides, it isn't all that hard to find me, if somebody is willing to spend 10 seconds looking, lol)

Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
For the record, I can relate to both sides of this. I avoided listing a specific location for a long time, and for several reasons. I try to keep the reptile side of my life somewhat private these days. I don't do business from my home, and I actively discourage the idea of people coming over to see what I have. Since I do post pictures of some of my animals, I didn't want to broadcast my location.
Pretty much the same reasoning I had for being vague about my location but like Harald said, if someone wants to spend 10 seconds looking, anyone could be found easily.

Quote:
On top of that, I've been threatened with physical violence by a few people that are definitely close enough to act on it - why make things easier for them?
While I have have apparently peed in a few bowls of Wheaties and have too been threatened I am not hiding from anyone. But again, it's not too difficult to find someone if you really want to find them even if you go out of your way to hide your location and even your true name.

Quote:
On the other hand, I get what Rich is trying to do...and I support the concept of it enough to go along (Besides, it isn't all that hard to find me, if somebody is willing to spend 10 seconds looking, lol)
Agree with Rich's decision or not, rules are rules. Rich is saying these are now what the rules are then this is how things will be. Rich is trying to make things difficult for those who would want to hide their location for dishonest reasons not to make things difficult for those of us who are honest private hermits.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
But again, it's not too difficult to find someone if you really want to find them even if you go out of your way to hide your location and even your true name.

I don't think I agree with this. Where are the Wises? Where is Chris Johnson? Where is Luis Torres?
I was scammed one time buying substrate, the person moved and I never could locate him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Rich is trying to make things difficult for those who would want to hide their location for dishonest reasons
Exactly.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
WebSlave
I doubt most of you have gotten even a fraction of the threats I have received. But certainly my address can be found with a minimum of effort. But I make it a point to let people know I am armed, do not welcome surprise visits, and no one can even see my place without trespassing on my property. I actually did have someone show up here once unannounced. Said he just asked around for the "guy with all the snakes". Well, I met him in the walk to my front porch, with a gun on my hip, and when he stated his business, I told him to just leave. I was not running a zoo here. And I didn't do business from the premises.

Sorry guys, but I can't do this alone. If the good guys aren't willing to do their part trying to make it difficult for the bad guys, then honestly, why should I put out the effort? How else am I supposed to make if difficult for the bad guys without trying to drag them out into the light and make it difficult for them to hide under the rocks? Seriously do you THINK I want to do all the work I do behind the scenes trying my best to make this a safe haven for the good guys? Heck, if the majority think it is a waste of time, or too much trouble for them to assist me with, I certainly can follow suit myself and quit with my own efforts. Do you think it's just an accident, for instance, that spammers have ceased to exist here?

Yeah, you just might be going out on a limb here by providing the city or town you live in. Gee, like I haven't been going out on a limb all along with the BOI.... But how else are the bad guys going to be defeated?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
WebSlave
Well, that sounds a little self centered....

Let me make a statement here just in case I am misunderstood.

While I may make the rules, it's actually the moderators that enforce them and find a hell of a lot more scammers than I do who are trying to bypass those rules. And yes, they are helped by some of the members who spot someone suspicious and will tip off the moderators. I certainly am not taking credit for all of those efforts. My efforts lately have been to try to stop as many of them as I can right at the gate. The mods and other diligent members catch the ones that slip by me.

So obviously there are others making an effort here to make life difficult for the scammers, and yes, they doing this for all the same reasons that the BOI was put into place. Because SOMEBODY needs to do it, and they aren't just waiting for "the other guy" to make that effort.

So if someone has a better idea on how to do this (without causing ME more work than I am already doing), then please let me know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!