people who spell garter or decay - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
actorstuntman
people who spell garter or decay

People who call gartner snakes ,garter snakes
people who call brown Dekay snakes ,brown decay snakes
for example askjeeves can't spell either right

Old 04-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
If you are referring to the Thamnophis genus, it is garter snake.
I have never seen the term gartner snake used except when used wrongly in reference to Thamnophis ssp.

Many people from the country particularly pronounce it gartner or even gardner snake, but this however does not make it the correct term.

Old 04-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
actorstuntman
Sorry clay

Try again,Back to the books.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Back to the books? You can't be serious. If you have all these books that use the term gartner in reference to Thamnophis ssp. by all means post your references.
When you made the sound off post complaining about people using the actual correct term it was at best humorous, although I refrained from poking fun. But to attempt to maintain that position which is against every publication I have ever seen as well as what is used by every herper with a shred of knowledge, just makes you look foolish.

If it's examples you need, try Jürgen Chlebowy or Scott Feltzer, two VERY well known Thamnophis breeders. Both obviously call them garters.
How about Roger Conant (author of Peterson's Field Guides). Yep what a surprise, he calls them garters as well.
Rich uses the term Garter to title his forum on that group.
Even Reptiles Magazine (surely you're at least familiar with that) uses garters. I believe the first issue with garters on the cover was January 1997.
Are you suggesting that the the entire balance of the hobby is wrong and you alone are right?

I honestly find it difficult to believe this conversation is even happening.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
Neil Gubitz
Clay.... I don't know what Mike is talking about, but you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!.... It is "GARTER" SNAKE.... and if you don't believe ME.... why not just try looking in the DICTIONARY!!....

Neil

Old 04-26-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Copperheadman
Damn..and all this time I thought it was "gardener' Snakes
I agree with Clay:
Back to the books? You can't be serious. If you have all these books that use the term gartner in reference to Thamnophis ssp. by all means post your references

I just checked,even my childrens' books refer to them as "Garter" Snakes..one even listed it as Thamnophis ssp. I own nearly 30 publications that call them "Garter" snakes..Are you saying that they are ALL incorrect?

Old 05-10-2004, 01:58 AM   #7
DAND
I gess thatz what happenz wen yu git yur bukz at da diskownt stor.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
Glenn Bartley
Yes you gentlemen are correct, it is Garter Snake. Maybe the person who originally posted the thread meant it was back to the books for himself.

By the way, it is not decay snake nor Dekay Snake either - it is correctly called: Dekay's Snake. I have not seen one of them in the wild, in NY, in over 10 years that I can remember. Used to find them in NYC frequently when I was in my teens and twenties. Progress...

By the way, I get some of my best herp books at a discount store, and they spell them correctly (LOL)!

All the best,
GlennB

Old 05-26-2004, 07:02 AM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Bartley
Yes you gentlemen are correct, it is Garter Snake. Maybe the person who originally posted the thread meant it was back to the books for himself.
I doubt that he meant that HE needed to go back to the books. If you have seen any of his other threads you would know he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #10
ms_terese
Yet, if you look at some of his other posts, he uses the terminology "garter snakes". Go figure?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!