Whats the best way to send a payment? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
StickyTongues
Whats the best way to send a payment?

What do you guys think are some of the best ways to send payment to someone so that you are protected against scams? I am about to purchase a $2000 dollar boa and want to make sure I have everything covered so that I don't get caught in a scam.

I had the seller email me his states drivers license, copy of utility bill, and a receipt with his signature on it before I would send him the money. I was thinking Western Union because this guy needed the money ASAP, which is the reason for being suspecious. Good things come to those who wait right? LOL

Anyway I heard that it would be considered a federal offense if you western union money to someone and got scammed. Is that true? Would it be safe to send money order?

I've never used anything but credit cards and Paypal for all my purchases and not familiar with sending money any other way. So not sure what is the best way to protect myself.

Would be nice to hear from some people who have been scammed so I would know what to look out for. Thanks all in advance.

Sam Leam

Old 02-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
DAND
To CYA I'd use a postal money order and send it overnight via the USPS with a signature request. This way if there is anything shady going on you'll have the post office to turn to if things go south. I believe with Western Union anyone can pick up the money provided they have the correct phrase and answer needed. This person could send anybody in to retrieve the money.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
Mike Greathouse
Sam,
Western Union is the payment method of choice for scammers as you have almost zero protection. I'm not saying your seller is one, just that it leaves you wide open for abuse.

The best protection for you would be a payment via USPS Postal Money Order. If he needs it fast, send it overnight. With this payment type, you do have the backing of the Federal Government.

Of course a credit card payment also protects you (depending upon the features inherit in the card plan and your bank) but not everyone can accept credit cards directly.

Paypal doesn't guarantee purchases on live animals so you really don't have any protection there.

The Postal Money Order is your best bet.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
The BoidSmith
I agree with David. Pay him with as many postal money orders as needed (is $500 still the maximum?), keep the copy's and send them overnight (keep the tracking #)

Quote:
I had the seller email me his states drivers license, copy of utility bill, and a receipt with his signature on it before I would send him the money.
You should probably ask the same from him. It's only fair as it is you and not him that's sending money.

Regards.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
ms_terese
This brings up a question I've had...do people who've been scammed successfully get their money refunded if they've used a postal money order? I realize the legal advantages, but what's the enforcement situation like?

Old 02-22-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
(is $500 still the maximum?)
The last time I was there they had just recently started having ones up to $1,000.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #7
dself40
Yes it did for me Terese,

a few years ago I was sent two dead carpets that had been dead for a while.I posted all the info on the BOI.But I used Postal money orders and my Postmaster was awesome in helping me get my moneys back it did take a longtime like almost 6 months but I did get all my money back.

He told me it didnt matter what I bought if I used a Postal Money order that if I didnt get what I paid for it was considered MAil Fraud.Plus I had all of our emails and everything so it went smooth as can be just a little lengthy but it all worked out.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
This brings up a question I've had...do people who've been scammed successfully get their money refunded if they've used a postal money order? I realize the legal advantages, but what's the enforcement situation like?
That is a great question. I have repeatedly heard the US Postal Money Order bit about it being the best way to go and why. Yet I have never actually seen anyone post that they got their money back when ripped off or even that the Post Office had really done anything to the person who ripped people off. So I am not so sure if the Post Office money orders are really anything more than a placebo.

Personally, I will not make any online purchases with anything but a credit card. If the person/business does not accept credit cards, at least through Pay Pal, then I take my business elsewhere. For me, it is just not worth the potential for problems and it leaves you completely at the mercy of the seller. No thanks.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #9
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dself40
a few years ago I was sent two dead carpets that had been dead for a while.I posted all the info on the BOI.But I used Postal money orders and my Postmaster was awesome in helping me get my moneys back it did take a longtime like almost 6 months but I did get all my money back.

He told me it didnt matter what I bought if I used a Postal Money order that if I didnt get what I paid for it was considered MAil Fraud.Plus I had all of our emails and everything so it went smooth as can be just a little lengthy but it all worked out.
Good to hear, dself. You are the first person I have ever heard report this info. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
ms_terese
As much as people hate accepting them, I've always preferred checks if I can't use V/MC or PayPal. Most people will wait until they clear, which is fine. However, I've always felt that my bank is going to be much more responsive if I raise hell with them than the Post Office would be.

Hopefully (fingers crossed), I won't ever have to find out!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!