how are you guys heating your cages? also stain bad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Grimaldi123
how are you guys heating your cages? also stain bad?

hey guys 2 questions im hoping you can help me with during my custom cage building project. first being: is wood stain bad for snakes? basically the enclosure is all wood with a glass front and about 20 3/4" holes drilled in the wood in various spots around the cage. will the stain bother/hurt my reticulated python? next question is how are you guys keeping your temps hot enough on these large cages. the enclosure measures 6'longx2'6"widex 3'6"tall. it will house an 11 foot tiger retic. basically this is what i have for heat... 2 ceramic bulbs in the top (150 w each) and a heat pad on the floor thats roughly 16" x 16". when i put my thermometer on the hot end im getting 80 and on the cold end 74. obviously i need these hotter and am stumped on the best way to do it. please any help with both of these questions would be more than appreciated.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
polasian
Wood Stain;

The stain will only minimally protect the wood against the damp/hot environment (which is present inside a cage). It does soak into wood, giving it some resistance to water. However, it does not provide the necessary protection. You'll have to apply lacquer to actually seal the wood.

Personally, what I've always done is...cut out thin sheets of plexi and attach them on the inside (sealing the corners with caulking). Its less messy that way . I have no idea if the chemicals/fumes from lacquer will negatively impact your animal. I would assume no (once it dries up)...however I have never researched that, so I cant give you a definitive "yes" or "no" answer.

Heating;

Unless you have cut outs on the top of your cage, then you'll probably want to stay clear of using ceramic bulbs altogether. Keeping them on the inside of the enclosure could cause problems. You don't want your retic to be in direct contact with such heating elements...they can cause some really nasty burns. Radiant heat panels ( such as these... http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat_panels/ ) would be a better choice.

Glass Front;
(I know this wasn't solicited but I'll talk about it anyway)

Make sure the glass is very strong (taking into account the large and powerful animal that you'll be housing). Having a snake breaking through the glass can cause it potentially life threatening injuries. I've always used thick plexi doors for any caging that I've built.

Good luck on your project and update us by posting some pictures when you're finished.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Grimaldi123
thank you so much for the helpful input! ive had snakes my entire childhood but have only more recently (within the past 2 years) gotten very serious about reptiles so i am relatively new and still learning so much every day. the glass in the front is 3/8 tempered glass which is thicker than a cars side windows (which are ridiculously strong) so i think im good there. thank you a bunch for all the help again i really appreciate it!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
snakesaver
another idea

hello, what i did for my rescues of big pythons is build a frame from 2x4's and get melamine from lowes (which is in your bath tub) its waterproof and doesnt mold. i seal it up with bathroom caulking/silicone. i let it sit for 48 hrs. so absolutely no fumes. i hope that gave you some more possibilities for your enclosures. please post pics of your retic. they are so beautiful. cheers! mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!