QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 18 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #171
pnutbutrcp
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?
Ball Pythons and a Brazilian Rainbow Boa

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
I started out with a ball python. I have tried many different kinds of snakes and I think I like the ball python morphs the best.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

No, my boyfriend does not care for reptiles.

4. How tall are you?
5'4"

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?
I do stay away from larger snakes such as burms and retics because I am not strong enough to handle them full grown alone.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
No

7. What is your age group?
15-25
26-40
41-50
Older than that, but none of your business!
None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #172
multimutts
Ball Python, Pueblan Milk Snake, Madagascar Giant Hognose, Western Hognose

I thought the milk snake was beautiful, the ball python is the only sort of constricting snake I have room for, and hognose are just so super cool!

Years and years ago, I was on a business trip and my husband had to feed my snake (at the time, I only owned a 12 ft boa) .... he's not a "snake person" and I think her feeding response somewhat horrified him .... so no help in many years

4. How tall are you?
5'4"

I'm very intimidated by retics, but if I had the space I'd have a burm. Since that's not likely to happen, I have a 'someday' goal to again own a nice salmon redtail .... but for the moment, I just don't have the space.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
somewhat .... that's what removes retic's from consideration .... but mainly my choice is just what I am drawn to, and what I can reasonably provide for.

15-25
26-40
41-50

I'm older, but I've had snakes of one sort or another for most of my adult life.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #173
kellysballs
Ball pythons and Red Bloods

I have liked reptiles since back in high school when I was part of the Ecology Club. But I always thought ball pythons where boring until my bother took me to the F.I.R.Expo back in 2006 and saw all the crazy morphs.

Yes the first few years from 06-09 my boyfriend had an over the road job so I did everything myself but the past few years my schooling has really gotten intense and he is home so he helps ALOT. In fact some weeks you could say I'm the helper.

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

4. How tall are you?
5'10''

Nope

Nope

26-40

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
Not really but, my in-laws don't come over very much anymore. But I'm not complaining!

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
Yes

10. Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?
I like ball pythons because of the morphs. I enjoy the genetics aspect of it the most.

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?
My boyfriend and I purchase animals together.

12. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?
Most people don't know and the ones who do think it's pretty neat. But most of my friends are Biology majors so I guess I'm just lucky.

13. Were you considered a tomboy growing up?

Yep

14. How long/from what age have you kept snakes?

My first snake was given to me at age 16 she was an emaciated ball python that died with in 2 months. My 2nd snake I purchased at 18 another ball python and she lived with me for a year or so until I gave her to a pet store when I couldn't take her when I moved.

15. What is your dream snake?
Banana Ball

16. What other snakes are on your "wishlist"?

One day...A.conanti, X.unicolor, L.fuscus, L.olivaceus

Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #174
Necoco
3 female Juvenile normal Ball Pythons (soon to add a baby spider female),a female Hypo pos het.Khal Boa,female Kenyan Sand Boa,and a female Blizzard Corn. At the moment the last three are only pets,but I'm hoping to breed my BPs sometime in the future as well as pick up a pair of breeder ready adults.

Te BPs have always held a place in my heart from the moment I saw one in a picture,but what sealed the deal was when I first held one in a pet store. <3

The others I just thought were really interesting,so I bought them. ^^

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)? Nope.

4. How tall are you?
5'4"

A little. As much as I love my boa,I don't really for see myself getting anything as big or bigger then her. Shes just a lovely pet. ^^

Seeing as I'm a one man show over here,yes. That,and I find I enjoy the smaller snakes more because they're easier to handle. I'd be lying if I said handling my boa wasn't a work out. xD

15-25
26-40
41-50

Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #175
Floof
Fun thread.

Mostly smaller snakes (corns, rat(s), rosy boas, a gopher snake), but also a couple BCIs and a Woma python.

Corns were the "first love," other than that I love medium-bodied, moderate-sized snakes with a personality.

Nope.

4. How tall are you?
5'3

A little bit. I'd probably be less cautious about owning boa constrictors if I weren't so small!

Again, a little bit, for the same reason as above--some of those I'd like to have are just too big for someone of my stature to handle regularly with no back up.

15-25

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
Hmmm... Not that I can think of, so no important ones at least!

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
Not yet... No family, friends, or close acquaintances with any interest in herps. Working on that, though.

Love snakes that are active and relatively interactive, as well as docile. I hope to do a little bit of work with Kisatchie corns (particularly the Silverleaf morph, if I can get my hands on one!), but that's the only breeding plans I have.

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?
Haven't had to deal with that yet, thankfully... LOL. If it ever comes up, I won't be beating around the bush. First time in my house: "These are the dogs... Now... Want to meet my OTHER pets? "

I'm lucky. My friends are all very accepting of it, though only one has a real interest. They all seem to view it as just my quirky choice in pets.

Borderline. Not girly by any means, but not a total tomboy.

Since age 15, so about 5 years now?

Black-headed Python... <3

Other than BHP... It's a varied list. A very light-colored Woma and Silverleaf Kisatchie are high up on the list, along with a few different rat snakes (old and new world).

Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #176
GummiBear
Albino Corn Snake and a Normal Ball Python

I've always loved other reptiles but didn't get into snakes until I started helping with the educational programs at my zoo and using a Burmese and a Ball Python and fell in love. I decided a corn snake would have been an easy starter snake and decided I love the Ball at the zoo so much I needed one of them too.

Yes, My husband has worked up into not only helping but enjoys taking them out as well. I also have a friend that will come over to help, and or watch if we go out of town.

4. How tall are you?
5'3 1/2

Unfortunetly yes, I would love a Burmese however my husband has a dangerous job and I don't want to risk getting one and end up alone trying to take care of a 150lbs. snake.

Not necessarily, but at the same time with the prior question, there is a safety concern if I were to get a Burm and have to try to take care of it myself.

15-25
26-40*
41-50

If you feel so inclined, add questions of your own that you'd like answers to, from your fellow female snake-lovers!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #177
Kinra
I keep primarily ball pythons, but I have a few boas.

My interest in ball pythons is due to searching for an apartment friendly pet. I started with balls and have slowly been moving on to larger species, such as the boas.

Nope, it's just me.

4. How tall are you?
I'm 5'7".

That is part of it, but it has more to do with space constraints. I'd like to own some of the larger species some day.

Initially yes, now I just love the color variation that comes with the ball pythons. Some day when I have help I would like to own a burm or a retic.

15-25
26-40
41-50

Not yet thankfully.

I don't, but I intend to leave a list of their estimated values so if I do die someone knows what they are worth.

I love the color patterns that come with the ball pythons and my goal is produce something really cool. I love breeding and having the chance to hold back certain ones to improve my breeding stock. I think selective breeding is important.

I try to be upfront about it. There is not point in avoiding it. I won't choose a stranger over my collection. I've worked too hard to build it.

Most of my friends also keep some type of reptile and the ones that don't just grin and bare it. I don't have too many of them asking to come over.

I think so, I enjoyed doing a lot of "boy" things. Fishing with my dad was the best.

I got my first ball python two years ago.

A hypo burm.

I have a huge wish list that grows almost every day. While my focus is ball pythons there are very few species of pythons and boas I wouldn't love to get some day.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #178
st0386
Blue Beauty, Black Milk Snake, Macklots Python, buying a Cave Dwelling Rat this week!

The beauty snakes are so intelligent! And pretty. I like a bit of attitude The Macklots my fiance really liked, so I bought it so he would be more interested in the snakes. The black milk was just so stunning. Already full grown and perfectly silky black.

Yes, my fiance helps. Hes not a big fan of his Macklots now though! He is wimpy about getting bitten He will heat them up for feeding, and sometimes he will actually feed them. Cleaning and watering is all me though.

4. How tall are you?
5ft

Size- sorta. Age- no. I like big snakes that i don't have to worry about help handling. All my snakes are long, but thin. The other major reason I have these species though, is they don't graduate from rats. I used to have pet bunnies, so feeder bunnies is crossing the line to me.

I would never get something as big as a burmese. Not so much because of safety, they are tame as long as well fed. But I would worry about it trying to make a meal of our cats! Besides, I just think house pets should have a size limit! Those tiny cages most people keep them in seems mean to me. They like to swim, and they need exercise sometimes too!

Nope. most people find them interesting at least. Some people just prefer not to see them, but never had a problem.

I guess fiance gets them! My dad would take one, too.

I let the neighbor kids come over to play with them. I hope it teaches them all snakes aren't bad, and not to kill them! I hope I can change a few peoples minds, though after college, people seem much less open to meeting them!

Never had to, they normally see the aquariums and go "whats in there?" Followed by "you have snakes?!". Most guys are curious. Never had one go running because of my pets!

Most of the girls like the snakes better than the guys! Never had a problem. Its always fun for new people to come over, everyone likes to pull them out. its entertainment for normal people. They joke I need to charge a $5 petting zoo fee

Yes, totally.

Got my first pet snake @11. But I was bringing them home from the woods way before that!!

The highlighter line of Jungle Jags!!! Also a Leucistic Ball Python (not a fan normally, but LOVE this morph)

White Lip Python, high yellow Jungle Carpet Python, blue Green Tree Python, Black-headed python, theres a few hybrids now looking promising- like Carpondros

Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #179
RoseRed
Brazilian Rainbow Boa's & Corn Snakes

Like most of my interests, horror movies are the perpetrator. Some of my favorite horror movies involved snakes, and well I wondered what they were like in real life. Thus, here I am. I love them both in real life and in horror movies.

Nope

4. How tall are you?
5' 3"

Not really.

Yes, a little. I don't feel safe with snakes over 12 feet alone.

What is your age group?
15-25 <<<<<< I'm Here
26-40
41-50

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #180
RoseRed
None

That is something I have been thinking about lately. I will probably have to reach out to the reptile community since no one in my family is responsible enough to own one or don't have any interest.

Brazilian Rainbow Boa: Gorgeous snakes, even the "normals" out shine most snake IMO. So going into the morphs is going to be even better. Plus, my Anck Su Namun is an amazing snake to handle, I fall in love with them every day. My goal breeding wise would to focus on high red with morphs.

Corn Snakes: I love the variety of morphs. My focus will be on the Pied morph and combing it with other morphs. My goal is to have the biggest variety of pieds + other morphs as possible. For example, I want to make Hypo Plasma Pieds and Fire Striped Pieds

The same I break it about my other pets.

Some think it's awesome, others think I'm running a zoo.

No doubt.

Just got my first this last August.

To own? A Candy Stripe BRB from Dave Colling at Rainbows-R-Us, especially if it was high red.

GTP
ETB
Carpet Python
Black Mexican King Snake
Blue-Eyed Leucistic Columbian Rainbow Boa
I'm sure this list will grow as time goes on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!