Beware of scam using PayPal! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
RyanT
Beware of scam using PayPal!

A few days ago I got an email to upddate my account info with PayPal or my account will be suspended. Everything looked just like PayPal's website does. Everything was normal until it asked for my PIN number to my debit card because it's a new security device and PayPal is the largest online money transfer resource in the world...all that stuff. I thought it was strange but I did it anyway. I'm on the phone right now with my bank because there is $800 worth of charges I didn't make. A company in India, Switzerland and Florida have $800 of my money. That's the only thing I can figure happened. So just letting everyone here know to watch out if you receive this email. I know I only have a PayPal account to buy snakes with and I'm sure alot of you do too. From the information I'm getting, this is going to be alot of fun to resolve. Guess I'm finding out what it's like to be scammed and have your identity stolen. Heads up.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Wilomn
That's a tough break Ryan.

Thanks for the heads up and for the record, NEVER give anyone your pin number. No one needs it for anything done online but you.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
hhmoore
sorry you got taken on that one - there have been a few posts on here about those emails. I actually get them pretty regularly...there is one about updating account info, and another that threatens that your account will be suspended. when you get them, forward them (with full headers) to spoof@paypal.com. Don't click on the links or send any info. The usual giveaway is that the greeting is Dear PayPal Customer (or similar) - any real emails will use your name in the greeting (this is also the case for ebay and various bank items that also come in cycles).

Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
Laura Fopiano
I've had that happen to me, but after hearing a news story on it, I immediately log off and then log on directly to pay pal itself.

I hope you can get your money back! Keep us informed and good luck!!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Jim O
That sucks, and sadly, it is a common scam. A good friend of mine fell for a PayPal scam and he is an allegedly knowledgeable attorney, one of whose specialties is internet law.

For your (and others') reference, here is some info from https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ySpoof-outside.
Quote:
Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails Back to Security Center

What is a fraudulent email?

A fraudulent (spoof) email pretends to be from a well-known company, such as PayPal or eBay, in an attempt to get personal information from you. People who send spoof emails hope to use your information - such as credit and debit card numbers or account passwords - to commit identity theft.

You can prevent spoof from affecting you

Spoof, or "phishing," emails - and the spoof websites often associated with them - are deceptive in appearance. However, they contain content that reveals they're fake. The most important thing to do to protect yourself is be able to spot this misleading content.

Know a spoof when you see it

Frequently, a spoof email looks something like this:

What to watch out for

1. Generic greetings. Many spoof emails begin with a general greeting, such as: "Dear PayPal member."

2. A false sense of urgency. Most spoof emails try to deceive you with the threat that your account is in jeopardy if you don't update it ASAP.

3. Fake links. The text in a link may attempt to look valid, then send you to a spoof address. Always check where a link is going before you click. Move your mouse over it and look at the URL in your browser or email status bar. If the link looks suspicious, don't click on it. And be aware that a fake link may even have the word "PayPal" in it.

Learn more ways to spot spoof

Read PayPal's 10 ways to recognize fake (spoof) emails now.

Questions PayPal will never ask you in an email

To help you better identify fake emails, we follow strict rules. We will never ask for the following personal information in emails:

* Credit and debit card numbers
* Bank account numbers
* Driver's License numbers
* Email addresses
* Passwords
* Your full name

Ways to fight spoof

* Report it. Forward the entire email - including the header information - or the site's URL to spoof@paypal.com We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name.

* Use Account Guard on the eBay toolbar. If you use Internet Explorer, download the eBay toolbar. Account Guard helps ensure you are on PayPal or eBay. Download the eBay toolbar now

* Use the SafetyBar. Email security provider Cloudmark has engineered a toolbar for Microsoft Outlook you can use to report spoof emails. Should you receive a spoof, click the SafetyBar's "Block Fraud" button to automatically report it to us. Download the Cloudmark SafetyBar now

We're dedicated to protecting you

PayPal works hard to educate you on the best ways to recognize and fight spoof. Learn more about how PayPal fights fraud for you around the clock.

Steps to take to prevent spoof from affecting you

* Keep your security software current. Update your firewalls and security patches frequently. Consider using software from companies like McAfee and Symantec.

* Monitor your account. Check your account periodically to see if there is any suspicious activity.

* Change your password often. And, if you think your security may have been breached, create a new password immediately.

* Use a unique password. Your PayPal password should be one-of-a-kind, and not used on any of your other accounts. A good password contains letters and numbers. This makes it more difficult for people to guess it.

* Take action. If your information is compromised, get a fraud alert placed on your credit report.

Get more information on how to prevent fraud

To download security tools, report fraud, and learn more about how we protect you, visit the PayPal Security Center today.
Good luck getting your money back.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Griz
Good luck is right. My understanding of the debit card rules is that once the money is out of the account then there is no getting it back. I wish you luck. Certainly an expensive lesson to learn.

Griz

Old 09-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Junkyard
Sorry, that is a big bummer. Good luck. Paypal is fun to deal with sometimes.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
RyanT
Well, I feel like an idiot. I knew that was really strange for them to ask for my PIN but it all looked legit. I'm waiting for the cops to show up now to file a police report and then take it to my bank to fill out their paperwork. They said it will take about 10 days for everything to be resolved but until then, I have $2.50 in my pocket right now and can't access the money that's supposed to be in my account cause it's not there anymore. So I have 8 days of being totally broke until I get paid again. All the people I work with are telling me if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. I just realized how many times I've heard "Hope it all works out for ya". Anyway, it looks like it'll get taken care of eventually. I really hate computers. Thanks for the support everyone.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
montezuma
I got one the other day telling me to click on something to confirm or deny an email address being added to my account... talk about misleading! I would think most people will click on that just to go change their info or set Paypal straight. I don't know what the outcome of clicking on that link would have been but hell if I want to be the one to find out!

Old 09-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Wilomn
I get them from ebay and earthlink and any number of banks.

With most of them, some I just delete, I simply forward the to fraud@ and then whomever it is SUPPOSED to be from. Let them know, ebay, earthlink the banks, where these things are coming from. If nothing else it gives the banks something to do.

NEVER NEVER NEVER give your personal info to anyone without VERIFYING who they are if THEY initiate contact with you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!