Paypal scam? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Casey Hulse
Paypal scam?

I recieved this email today
Dear member,

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. This is a fraud prevention measure meant to ensure that your account is not compromised.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-053-253-371

This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with a step to restore your account access.We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

Use the link below to access our mainframe database and confirm the information we have on file for your account.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

PayPal is committed in assisting law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that impersonators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law..

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal Email ID PP560
I went to the link and was required to sign in using my password, I did not sign in and forwarded the email to paypal. It may be legit, because we did modify our address a couple weeks ago, and the site looks just like paypal but I need to be certain.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
cyberfrog
Looks like a phishing attempt to me.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Jim O
Casey,

It may well be a fraud. Don't use that link to log in. If you have any doubt at all, just type www.paypal.com into your browser and go directly to their site.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
turtlepimp
That is definately a scam.Paypal does a god job of protecting your assets if you follow a few simple rules.

Paypal will never ask for your password unless you are logging in
They will always refer to you by your real name by email.
They will always give you the last 4 digits of your account number.So if someone asks for your bank account number without first giving you the last 4,you are getting scammed.

These scammers as slick as hot poop on an icy sidewalk.You have to be carefull.I gave up my password on a scam a few months ago and caught it within 5 minutes of what I was doing.I immediately changed the password and called Paypal.Someone in Colorado was already trying to access the account.

The screen I was emailed was a spitting image of a Paypal log in screen.I right clicked properties and saw a redirect in the URL.

You gots to be carefull.

Andy Sury

Old 05-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
DAND
Yep, it's a load of crap. I get them at least once a month. Just wait until you get the one claiming your account will be closed if you don't update your information.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
jglass38
It doesnt look like a scam at all to me. The URL redirects to the legit Paypal site and nobody asked you to email them your password. I would call them and get it resolved. Scams generally direct you to a false URL (i.e. www.paypal-info.com) or ask for you to email information.

Jamie

Old 05-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Hurley
Yep, I've gotten both types of those.

Warning, unless you update your info, your account will be closed! Please click our bogus link and give us all your info. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
gmherps
Just everybody be careful. I got the same email from both Ebay and Paypal yesterday.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
leaftail
And Paypal is a secure site. But that link starts with http: instead of https:

Old 05-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #10
Rebel Dragons
I get those kinda of emails from paypal and ebay all the time. They just go into the trash. I go directly to the site if I have business to do. Also many of those scams don't have the little lock thingie in the corner indicating it's a secure site. Red flag!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!