Problem with a shipment, need some advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
Chance
Problem with a shipment, need some advice

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post, and if not, feel free to move it. This is a first for me, strangely enough considering the uncountable number of packages I've sent and received, so I'm writing here to ask for advice on what I should do in a failed shipping attempt.

Day before yesterday (6-25), I sent a guy in PA a pair of young adult corns. UPS attempted a delivery, but (and this is according to the UPS rep with whom I spoke yesterday) possibly because of the guy's neighborhood, the driver wasn't comfortable leaving the package without a signature. When the receiver informed me they hadn't arrived, I tracked the package and saw that note, so I called UPS immediately and told them the package was very time sensitive and I needed it to either be redelivered or taken to the hub for pickup. They told me the latter was the only option, so the rep had them route it to the hub, which was 3 miles from the receiver's house. I called the receiver and informed him of this, at which point he said he was going to work so he wouldn't be able to go get them, but his girlfriend could get a ride and go get them. Apparently, the snakes weren't picked up until sometime this morning (this is according to his local UPS hub rep who just called me a few minutes ago), leaving plenty of time for them to cook yesterday, and I received an e-mail and a call this morning from him informing me that they were dead. Not only were they dead, but he said they "appeared to be dead for some time" and they were "skinny."

At this point, I feel I should share some pictures that were taken of this pair on 6-20:

Obviously, they are not thin. Nor were they dead when they left here.

So here's my quandry: obviously the guy is upset at receiving dead snakes. I'm upset that these snakes, which were both beautiful animals and great pets, apparently died. I strongly feel that because of the immense delay and the fact that he wasn't available to receive the snakes on the first attempt, and that he didn't even go pick them up until this morning, he should just count it as a loss.

What do you think?

Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Valley Dragons
Did you give him a live delivery guarantee? Usually with a live delivery guarantee comes the disclaimer of "person must sign for package" or guarantee is void. Assuming you sent the snakes via UPS next day delivery, and he was made aware of when you shipped and when the snakes would arrive, then I don't think that you can be found liable for the snake's death. It was not your fault that he was not home to sign for the package. You can choose to compensate him in some way out of the goodness of your heart, or not. It is totally up to you.

Jamie

Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Neil Gubitz
Bottom line.... It was HIS responsibility to be home for delivery... He wasn't.... He waited till the next morning to take the time to go get them.... they were dead.... YOU OWE HIM NOTHING!!.... HE has to take responsibility for his OWN actions.... no if's, and's or but's about it....
Sorry they died, they looked like gorgeous animals a week ago.... I hate people like that.... Rest assured YOU did everything you were supposed to do, including calling this clown and telling him to go get them.... Some people just don't get it when it comes to LIVE animals....

Neil

Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Chance
Unfortunately, the buyer and I never discussed any specifics on a live arrival guarantee. I, as a matter of practice, would hold up the usual live arrival guarantee such as what you stated. I guess I should start copy/pasting a set of general terms at the bottoms of my ads so there is no confusion.

But yes, if the receiver had been available to get the package or even if his girlfriend had been able to pick them up shortly after the delivery attempt was made, by either going to the hub or meeting the driver (which I've had to do before) if they weren't going to be at the hub anytime soon, then I would more than willingly refund his money. In this case, however, he didn't even attempt to get them until this morning.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Neil Gubitz
BTW.... Of COURSE they "looked" skinny when he FINALLY received them.... They died because they were dehidrated from heat exhaustion!!.... What did he expect??

Neil

Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
wyblep
Wow this is one of those situations that nobody ever wants to be in. I will give you my opinion and thats all it is, my personal opinion. First of all did the buyer say there would be someone to accept the package at the time of arrival? Did he ask that it just be dropped at the door? Was he not home and the package was planned to be left on the porch all day? I live in Pittsburgh, PA and yesterday it was a hot one with very high humidity. Snakes left in a box on a porch in direct sun light somewhere, I don't think could have survived very long anyway. Before I give you my opinion on what I would do please feel us in on some of my above questions about the details of the transaction. Paul

Old 06-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
wyblep
wow all that in the time it took me type my post lol. I need typing lessons. Paul

Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Chance
Hah, thanks for the questions Paul. By the way, I do that often, not checking a thread to which I'm responding until after I post...such as just a minute ago.

To answer your questions, the receiver was made fully aware of when they would be arriving. I e-mailed him Sunday specifically to be sure he would be available Tuesday for their arrival. He said he would. Monday evening, I e-mailed him the tracking number when I scheduled the shipment. Tracking numbers are rather handy when it comes to live animal shipments. I always try to give my buyers tracking numbers for their shipments specifically to try to avoid situations like this.

The UPS rep didn't have the exact details as to why the package wasn't simply left on the porch, but she told me it's at the driver's discretion and they won't leave a package if they think there is any danger of someone stealing it. Apparently, he thought so. I called the receiver the minute I finished speaking to the rep, and he said he was home but was in his snake room. It seems he was somewhere he wasn't able to hear them knocking.

I'll see if I can figure out how to do a screen shot of the tracking information in case the receiver decides to stop by and slam me.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
barbie69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Gubitz
BTW.... Of COURSE they "looked" skinny when he FINALLY received them.... They died because they were dehidrated from heat exhaustion!!.... What did he expect??

Neil
Agreed!! Poor snakes!!
Any live shipment I have ever had sent to me I was REQUIRED to be there when it was delivered or the responsibility was on me...even if it meant taking time off work. These are living breathing creatures, where was his compassion when he went to work and left them there overnight!?

Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Chance
Just in case, I managed to get a screen capture of the tracking information. I just hope it's legible. This illustrates the timing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!