Oregon: What are they telling people to do with their exotics now that they r banned - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Kingetula
Oregon: What are they telling people to do with their exotics now that they r banned

I have read that Oregon has passed a ban on exotics. I never have read anything about what the state wants the owners to do with these animals?

If Oregon is taking the animals what are they doing with them? Just wondering where all these animals are going.

What kind of problem does Oregon have with exotics that they felt they needed this ban?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Heika
Oregon has not banned exotic animals. I like to think that will never happen. We have some of the most permissive laws in the United States regarding exotic animal ownership.

Here is the HSUS page on it.. you can see that legislation was proposed but died. No big surprises there.

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws...of_exotic.html

Heika

Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Kingetula
After I posted I went to find the post where I saw it had been pasted. (I can't remember where I saw it). I did however find this post (Only that they were thinking about it)

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=100594

I wish I could find that post where a link was available (I believe) that said they passed it.

Well it's good to know it didn't pass.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Kingetula
Well this article told me enough I guess.

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_public...ommittee_.html

Animal Protection Organizations Urge Oregon House Committee to Pass Legislation Prohibiting Private Ownership of Wild Animals

April 17, 2007

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Recent incidents involving the escape of exotic pets demonstrate the need to prohibit private possession of wild animals in Oregon, say The Humane Society of the United States, the Oregon Humane Society and the Animal Protection Institute. Earlier this month a pet alligator escaped from a Coos Bay home and a pet monkey escaped through a hole in his cage in Lincoln County. Both animals were recaptured.

The HSUS, OHS and API are supporting House Bill 3437, introduced by Representatives Arnie Roblan (D, 9) and Brian Boquist (R, 23) to prohibit private possession of wild animals in the state, including alligators, monkeys, wolves, lions, tigers and bears. The House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee will consider the bill at a hearing on April 19.

"This legislation will protect both public safety and animal welfare," said Kelly Peterson, The HSUS state program coordinator for Oregon. "Wild animals can attack, they can spread disease, and the average citizen cannot meet their needs in captivity. They belong in the wild. Fortunately, state lawmakers are poised to address this issue, and we urge the committee to pass House Bill 3437."

"When members of the general public can keep wild animals as pets it's a horrible life for animals and an accident waiting to happen," said Nicole Paquette, Esq., director of legal and government affairs for API. "Many animals become too difficult for their owners to care for and end up languishing in small pens in backyards, doomed to live in deplorable conditions, or they're abandoned."

"Our position has always been that the general public is ill suited to care for exotic animals with unusual and specific husbandry requirements," added Sharon M. Harmon, executive director of the OHS. "Exotics most often die early deaths from poor husbandry in spite of the intentions of their owners. There are tens of thousands of our closest companions euthanized for lack of homes in Oregon. If we can't provide adequate care for domestic dogs and cats, we have no business taking animals from the wild or producing exotic animals for the pet trade."

Currently in Oregon a permit is required to possess certain wild animals as pets. H.B. 3437 will prohibit future possession of these animals and add alligators, crocodiles and caimans to the list. People who currently have these animals will be able to keep them, but not breed or replace them.

In addition to Roblan and Boquist, the bill is co-sponsored by Representatives Vicki Berger (R, 20), Scott Bruun (R, 37), Brian Clem (D, 21), Larry Galizio (D, 35), Bill Garrard (R, 56), Greg Macpherson (D, 38), Tobias Read (D, 27) and Mike Schaufler (D, 48).

Previous incidents in Oregon include:

The body of a dead three-foot alligator was found in a creek in Douglas County in March 2007.
A serval (an African wild cat) escaped from a home near Aurora in November 2006. The animal was recaptured only to escape again on the way home.
A pet lynx escaped and jumped on a six-year-old girl's head in Clackamas County in August 2005.
A caiman was returned after three days on the loose in Lane County in June 2005.
A three-year-old girl in Bend was hospitalized after being bitten by a 40-pound exotic cat in her neighbor's yard in September 2002.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Heika
Yeah.. once again it comes down to responsible ownership. Some of these legislative people are looking for reasons to ban ownership of exotics, and irresponsible owners just give them ammunition.

Heika

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!