Appetite Loss After Medicines - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
chimpkin
Appetite Loss After Medicines

My leo just went through a round of antibiotics and panacur for stomatitis and parasites. He seems to have lost his appetite. Could it be from the medicine? I ordered acidophiliz+ because I heard that this will help get his stomach started after the meds.

Any other tips to get him started eating again? I have offered him his favorites (Meal worms & pinkies) and he bites at them but doesn't actually eat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Appetite loss is common with antibiotics, and the geckos usually feel worse before they feel better. If you do give proboiotics, don't give them at the same time as the medication.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
chimpkin
Probiotics? You mean the acidophilaz+? I guess I am unsure of the term probiotic.

He has been finished with his antibiotic for a few days now. I have had him for 3 yrs + and have never known him not to eat. Either the anitbiotics or the Panacur wiped him out.

I was going to try the acidophillaz+ and give him some water or pedialyte from a dropper to make sure he is hydrated. I also considered seeing if he would lick some baby food. I though it may stimulate some appetite.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
There are antibiotics which kill gram negative bacteria, then then there are probiotics like 'acidophillaz+' which are gram positive bacteria. (Just remember that anti=bad and pro= good biotics.) During antibiotic treatments for infections, a lot of the 'good' bacteria in the animal's GI system gets killed off as well. This good bacteria is necessary for proper digestion, and using probiotics may help replace it.

There is debate among veterinarians whether or not probiotics even work on cold-blooded animals, but it certainly couldn't hurt. The only problem is that any time live cutures are used, they have a shelf-life and die off over time. This means you really don't know how many live cultures are active in the probiotics, and I have yet to find a vet that can tell me what the proper dosage would be.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
chimpkin
I am always amazed at the wealth of information of this forum. Thanks for the response explaining the probiotics. The good news is that I got him to eat 10 meal worms since I last poster and he actually enjoys the acidophillaz+. He seems to be perking up and doing better. Thanks again for the info.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!