New Member from Australia Home of the Galah and Cockatoo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Birdsss
Red face New Member from Australia Home of the Galah and Cockatoo

Hello,

I am a new member from Australia. I am currently in the procees of establishing an approved CITES breeding program (+ necessary export licence)
for the Galah and Sulfar Crested Cockatoo for export overseas.

Can anyone advise if there would be any demand to export Galah's and Cockatoo's from Australia? Freight/pet courier would of course be at purchasers expense, with single birds, hand raised and breeding pairs available. DNA sexed certificate + necessary shipping documentation.

I look forward to hearing from fellow members if there would be any demand for these beautiful birds. And of course all custom laws both in Australia and overseas would be strickly adhered to at all times. I am located in Sydney Australia. It would appear going by the prices I have seen, that purchasers could obtain a breeding pair of birds, for about the same price as a single bird + freight.

If anyone can advise if there is any demand in this area, it would be greatly appreciated before I outlay the cost of the licences etc.

Cheers
Birdsss

Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Drache613
Welcome

Hello & welcome from Australia!

I personally do not know if there is a demand for those species, but it would certainly be interesting to hear from people who are into that. How awesome what you are doing that of program.
So, you can legally export a species, but it has to be CITES permits?
I would love to get some Pogona Barbata stock from Australia, but I doubt that is permissable!!
Good luck. I bet that did take you some time to obtain that. Look forward to seeing some pics, too.

Tracie

Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Birdsss
CITES BREEDING PROGRAM

Hello,

Yes, that's correct. They have to be bred in accordance with a CITES approved breeding program, before you can even consider an export licence, basically you have to satisfy that the birds are captive bred. Which is more than fair given there are regrettably some dodgy dealers out there.

Will let everyone know how things progress my end. I also received an enquiry about the Lorikeet and Lory mutations. I am contacting CITES regarding these and will post the response when I receive it.

Cheers
Lisa

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

That is awesome, great work. I am sure that has been a long time coming for you.
How do they deem a species CITES approved for breeding? Does it have to be in abundance? I am betting it can't be something that is endangered, correct?
Definitely keep us posted. That is exciting.

Tracie

Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Birdsss
Rose Breasted Cockatoo aka Galah

Hello Tracie,

Yep, you are spot on, you cannot apply for species considered to endangered, and you must be able to prove second generation breeding otherwise it's not considered a valid breeding program within the definition of a captive bred program. Once approved, the program is valid for 5 years, providing of course you don't do anything silly to alter the program and then they would cancel it.

The application process takes 6-8 weeks providing all documentation is complete, or they don't require additional information. It's just coming into breeding season here in Australia, so whilst I won't be of much assistance for a couple of months, from then on I will be in a position to regularly supply to those interested. And of course copies of all documentation would be provided to interested parties.

I will keep you all up to date as I progress through the maze of Government red tape. Wish me luck !!

Cheers
Lisa

Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello Lisa,

Great, thanks for the information. Good luck with all of the government red tape!! At least they require at least a 2nd generation so inbreeding is nill. I like hearing that, how awesome!!
Keep us posted.

Tracie

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Welcome!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!