Another one - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Nyoka77
Another one

So, I'm going to a reptile show in about 2 weeks and I have a hard time going without coming home with a new member to add to the family! I really want another hoggie..but my apt can hardly fit a 10 gallon tank that I already have. So I was just wondering...what about getting another female and keeping them both in a 20 gallon? Prob. not a good idea, but i'm out of ideas to make them fit!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
99Vengeur
What about building a rack system that would allow you to add more cages vertically?

I have been contemplating building a system similar to a dresser that would allow me to put the cages on pull-out platforms. They would be stored and displayed flush with the front, but when it's time for feeding, handling, cleaning, etc. the 'drawers' would slide out and allow access to the tops of the cages.

Not sure how large your hoggie is right now, but for the first year, I had housed two in a 20 gallon long cage. I just put a divider down the middle to keep them physically separated.

This may not be much help, but hopefully it will get the gears turning to generate some other ideas.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
ladyserpent7
ive seen hogs get along fine together, when i first bought my hoggie, she was with another hog in the store for a while..and no harm done there...but you know your hog better than i do. and size also matters

Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
99Vengeur
I once read that hognose can be slightly cannibalistic. Is this true at all times, or in just some cases?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Nyoka77
hmm...i would be afraid to put her in with another hoggie. She's so picky and bitchy sometimes that I have a feeling she would have cannibalistic tendencies!

The "drawer" type situation sounds like a good idea, but i can't even think of where i would stack them since shes right under a window..and thats the only free corner in my apartment.
Maybe someday when my snake collection gets out of hand...if you set one up, i'd love to see pictures!!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
ladyserpent7
aw..you have a high maintenance hoggy, lol...how big is she?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Nyoka77
haha yes, she is quite the princess...
Hmm, shes about the length of her 10 gallon, here's a picture
she was a problem eater for about a year...now she eats at least twice a week...shes finally growing the way a little hoggie should! (Got her about a year and a half ago)

how big/old is yours? I have yet to see a full grown hoggie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newnyoka.jpg (113.7 KB, 58 views)

Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
99Vengeur
I have a pair of western hoggies that were CBB in june of 2006. The male is about 12 inches long, but my female is around 22 inches or so. She is a monster when it comes to feeding. She ate two rat pinks in a matter of a minute or two, then a day later ate two mouse pinks refused by my male!! My male is a picky eater, but she has no problem finishing off what he leaves behind. I have never seen a full grown adult in anything other than pictures, but pics often distort sizes or misrepresent them. It would be nice to see one in person.

BTW -- Katie, I think she is beautiful! I will try to get pics up later tonight of mine.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
ladyserpent7
mine is not a full grown adult yet...this september will be our three year anniversary, and i think she was maybe a year old when i got her...but shes still growing...i have seen full grown adult western hoggies..theyre soo pretty..and theyre thick all around, but theyre very rare..and from my experience, it takes a while for them to grow to that size..but when they doo..

Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
99Vengeur
Thumbs up Here they are...

Here are the pics of my two hoggies....Ares and Athena. I tried to give a size reference with Abe Lincoln. They were both CBB in June 2006, and I get them very soon after.

Athena

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!