The rat birthing rack is finally finished - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
The rat birthing rack is finally finished

The plans for my latest rat rack design are finally done. Several people have emailed me asking if they were finished since I had mentioned on the site that I expected to have them published by Christmas.
Part of the watering system was on back order and just came in this week. It's finally done and as soon as I can catch my son home for 15 minutes I'll have him help me get it to the rat barn so I can put it in service.

For those interested, this is designed as a birthing rack for pregnant female rats, but would be usable for raising mice in as well.
I decided not to use the normal rack design where the tubs were suspended on runners and instead designed it so that the tubs were supported from underneath but could still use the auto watering system.
The full plans are located here:
http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat...ing_rack.shtml

Attached Images
File Type: jpg br_finished.jpg (62.9 KB, 755 views)

Old 01-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
sschind
I was going to do something similar with my rat rack but do you think the single OSB board will support the weight of 4 tubs filled with big litters?

Old 01-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
sschind
OK, so I missed the part about the braces. Shoot me. I responded based on the picture in the post and I din't see the braces until I went on the detailed site.

Nice job again Clay. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
smilin-buddha
How many pregnants rats do you put in each tub. I was wondering. IF you fit two or singles in the rack. I have thought of redoing my racks. ANd trying this method. I have been using the harem method for years. But I am always looking for ways to breed better. Thanks Clay. I have found your site a gold mine of information over the years. Todd

Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
suzuki4life
Many people who raise their own rodents, myself included, use a system similar to what Ralph Davis has detailed on his website. This method involves roatating females through the system and pulling pregnant females from the breeding colony to give birth alone in a birthing tub.

do you happen to have alink to this info? Just curious to the reasoning of seperating them

Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
Wolfy-hound
Neatly built! Looks grand and I'll bet you soon have it filled with babys and moms.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin-buddha
How many pregnants rats do you put in each tub. I was wondering. IF you fit two or singles in the rack. I have thought of redoing my racks. ANd trying this method. I have been using the harem method for years. But I am always looking for ways to breed better. Thanks Clay. I have found your site a gold mine of information over the years. Todd
I put one pregnant female per tub. She raises the litter alone until they're ready to be weaned.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
smilin-buddha
One more question if you have the time. You breed them in the cement tub and than move them when they are showing. Do you reintroduce a new female as each one is pulled or do you move the males. I assume you have a grow up rack for future breeders and the like. Thanks sorry for all the questions. Todd

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life
do you happen to have alink to this info? Just curious to the reasoning of seperating them
He describes it somewhere on his site, but it's somewhat difficult to find. He actually did a much better job explaining it on one of his radio shows.
The link to the broadcast is here http://tinyurl.com/yuc4vl

There are two main benefits that affect productivity. First the males breed stronger when regularly introduced to new females. Second, once the rotation system is in place, you always know which females are failing to produce. The females in the last tub in the rack have made it all the way through without becoming pregnant. Once they get there you have the option of replacing them in the colony with young females or putting them back through the cycle again if you don't have enough fresh females ready. Listen to the radio show and it'll be much clearer than I can make it here.
With the harem system, if you have a large number of tubs going at least, it's often difficult if not impossible to remember which litters belonged to which female and which ones haven't produced in a while.

I'm sure it's also beneficial to the nursing females to be able to care for their litter without having a bunch of other rats roaming around, but the primary benefit is to increase overall production.

I have always removed pregnant females from the breeding colony, but it was mainly just to make room for females ready to be bred to be placed with the male. I used to rotate males though during cleaning and the females stayed in the same tub. That method didn't provide the full benefits though I realized after Ralph fully explained the reasoning behind his method, so now I rotate females instead and the males remain in place.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin-buddha
One more question if you have the time. You breed them in the cement tub and than move them when they are showing. Do you reintroduce a new female as each one is pulled or do you move the males. I assume you have a grow up rack for future breeders and the like. Thanks sorry for all the questions. Todd
Normally everything is done at the same time the racks are cleaned. Pregnant females are moved to a birthing tub and the numbers in the breeder tubs are evened out as I clean by rotating the females. Occasionally the first tub or two, the last ones cleaned, will only have one or two females with the male if I have a high percentage pregnant that week.
Listen to the show I linked to above and it will be clear.

I leave rats that will be raised as breeders in a birthing tub until they are large enough to feed easily in a cement tub, then I have one of those single stack racks dedicated to raising up future breeders.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!