How to get a buisness license - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
juggalo
How to get a buisness license

How do you go about getting a business license in the state of South Carolina.

We have been trying to get a license in South Carolina for our internet sales.We have been hitting a brick wall they have basically been telling us all we have to do is claim the income at the end of the year and pay taxes on it which we have been.But alot of the shows we have contacted have asked for a tax ID number so what do I do use my social or what.All the state and county offices we have called have told us there is nothing we need to do other than claim the income.

So my question is:Are they right or are they blowing us off because they don't know the answers?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
In my state I had to obtain..

A license from the city and a seller's permit.

I also obtained a Federal EIN and and filed for a DBA and advertised it.

Looking at SC,

http://www.certcapture.com/downloads...icate_ST8a.pdf

http://www.gov-tax.com/?s=GOOGLE&gcl...FR0RnQodvktBUA

Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
juggalo
Thanks Dennis it looks like I am going to have to do alot of this on line because these people answering the phones don't have any answers.
I think the word snake just makes their minds go blank.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
http://www.scbos.com/Info/LPRsObtainSCBOS.htm

Here is the state's site.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
juggalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
yea one stop is a hard site to navigate but I think we are getting there thanks again.It is just a bunch of hoops to jump through.

I am glad you were able to find it.
I talked to David Young and he sent me the same link.

I guess you just have to know where to look.

done deal we just completed the DBA.Now we are going to shoot for the EIN

Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
I was told that an EIN was not needed unless there were X number of employees. If one is sole owner and operator SS number is sufficient. However, it doesn't appear that many people are aware that this is the case, as I constantly get asked for the EIN number and when I approach the Tax people for an EIN I am told that I do not need one.

To top this off, "my people" have filed the 2007 taxes and I had to pay quite a bit on the business end. I thought Internet Tax Laws were different, but have not been able to find much information to reinforce this when I speak with people.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
jeffh231979
sam did you get the license thing straight?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
WingedWolf
Nebraska is the same way--if you're using your name instead of a DBA, and you're a sole proprietorship, your social security number is used in place of a tax ID. I think that's a terrible idea, personally. But here, if you register a business name, you need a seperate sales tax ID.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Strike_Force_Reptiles
ok i might be able to help a little on this because i went through it. first off Dennis is right. second you do not need to have employees to get an EIN or FIN which ever you want to call it. i do not have any employees and i had to get my EIN. if you need help getting one go to the bank you bank with, they will open you a free business checking account and file for your EIN there on the spot and you will have it within 10mins and they will print everything out for you. i bank with southern bank and they are very helpful with that. depending on your location there are other permits you will need to get. the best way to find out everything you need there is to go to the courthouse and go down to the clerk of court and they will be able to direct you to the office that will have the info about the other permits. be aware after you fill out the forms there will be an inspector that will come to check your setup and everything so make sure everything is 110% or you could get denied. they do not tell you when they will come and they will just drop by and inspect everything. if you deny them of inspection they will deny you of your permits and you cant file for another for 6 months or so. you cant ask them to come back in a few mins or anything. its then or never. i hope this helped. SC might be a little different than NC so just going on what i know here. if you have any questions please feel free to email or pm me.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Snakesnme
Thanks guys all this info is very... how can I say it.. educational!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!