Need help setting up AP rack!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
hartge330ci
Need help setting up AP rack!!

Just bought and received my first rack. It's from AP and has the Sterilite 1756 tubs. 7 high. My questions is where do I put the probe. It looks like there is a cutout for the probe on the middle shelf, but I thought I had to put it in one of the tubs? Also, what should I then set the Helix Thermostat Temp to so I get the ambient temp right? And how many holes of what size and in what location should I put in the tubs for ventilation?

Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
bsharrah
Lots of questions and unfortunately no straight answers to them. You can use the provided cut out or place the probe in one of the tubs, you decide. As far as what temp to set the t-stat to, that depends on probe placement and what you are keeping. you are going to need to do a bit of experimenting with it. Set the t-stat to something close to what you want, give it time to heat up, and check the temps in the tubs (measure the temps nearest the heat source). If you need them higher or lower, adjust the t-stat accordingly.

With ventilation, again, depends on what you are keeping. I suggest less ventilation for species requiring more humidity than species that do not. Take care when adding ventilation. Those tubs are no longer being manufactured and are like gold now. Be sure you know what you are doing before doing it.

Bart

Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
bsharrah
Just checked my tubs (also 1756). I have two rows of 13 holes on each side, placed halfway up the tub. The holes are 1/4" diameter and seems to work great for my graybanded kings. If you are going to use a drill bit, I suggest a Frued bit which can be found at Lowes. These make nice clean cuts in the plastic. A standard bit will probably leave burs and even crack the tub. Many people use a soldering iron to melt holes in the tubs but for tubs this size, you will be at it for a while. Personally, I think the melted holes look like crap. Considering your tubs are now irreplacable, you might want to consider the Frued bit I mentioned.

Bart

Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
hartge330ci
Thanks for the help. In this case the snakes are Ball Pythons. I guess I will have to mess around with it and experiment a bit.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Diego Velarde
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartge330ci View Post
Just bought and received my first rack. It's from AP and has the Sterilite 1756 tubs. 7 high. My questions is where do I put the probe. It looks like there is a cutout for the probe on the middle shelf, but I thought I had to put it in one of the tubs? Also, what should I then set the Helix Thermostat Temp to so I get the ambient temp right? And how many holes of what size and in what location should I put in the tubs for ventilation?
I also have the same rack. I put the t-stat probe directly on top of the heat source (in my case cable belly heat) I have the t-stat set to 94 giving me temps inside the tubs at 92 (basking spot). Like Bart mentioned, you need to play around with temps and check them often to make sure you have the perfect temps in there before putting your BPs in. I personally have 8 holes on l each long side of the tubs and a couple more (4 or 5) on the front. I melted them using a wood burner and personally I don't think it looks bad at all. Also each hole took me around 1/2 a second to melt once the burner was hot enough.
The Sterelite 1756 tub are replaceable by a the new 1755 tub Clearview Latch tubs also 32qt (i just try them out the other day, perfect fit). All you need to do is take the latches off (really easy, all you need is two hands)
Diego

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!