The Perfect Rack System - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
scotty77327
The Perfect Rack System

I am looking to build the perfect rack system . I am looking for any and all input on it's design.

Including materials used , tubs, heating, number of tubs used and as versatile as possible .
Don't hold back give me all your ideas.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
bigdogg
Best advice. BUY ARS lol. But all depends on budget. If you have a huge budget. Go PVC or ABS plastic. If low budget. Melamine or Vinear covered particle board. Then all depends on what size tubs you want. I prefer back heat over anything. But just my opinion. ARS racks come ready to rock.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
scotty77327
I am not wanting to buy a rack . I have ABS and and PVC . Do you
think a system with or without sides as opposed to a pole on each corner with rails attached and a solid back would be better
Trying to pick the brains of those who use and have used rack systems.
Whats the pros and cons of the system your using.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Gary O
Well I have a little bit of every kind of rack. I like PVC racks the best. Fully enclosed so they hold heat. I also like when the racks are screwed together compared to welded or glued together. So I can vary with racks. Best rack I have is my boaphile baby rack probably. But I am moving most to ARS rack systems. But I like to use lidded tubs with racks as well cause we keep venomous and don't want any holes or gaps open for them to get out. But rack building can be so varied.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
bigdogg
Sorry above post should have been on this name. Was on gary's comp for a lil while and forgot to log off. He is my brother so I am sure he won't mind lol. But if the mods can delete that it would be great.

Well I have a little bit of every kind of rack. I like PVC racks the best. Fully enclosed so they hold heat. I also like when the racks are screwed together compared to welded or glued together. So I can vary with racks. Best rack I have is my boaphile baby rack probably. But I am moving most to ARS rack systems. But I like to use lidded tubs with racks as well cause we keep venomous and don't want any holes or gaps open for them to get out. But rack building can be so varied.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
hhmoore
The "perfect rack" will vary according to user preferences, species kept, and set up.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
WJS Herps
What a coincidence. I always been in search of the perfect rack too...

Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
scotty77327
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS Herps View Post
What a coincidence. I always been in search of the perfect rack too...
Furtunatly I have that type of perfect rack already in my wife .
So is a lidless rack or with lids better

Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty77327 View Post
You are still looking for highly subjective answers that depend a lot on the type of animals kept & the general set up involved. Since you don't want to add any further information, I'm going to side with John - go ARS

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Chris_Harper2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty77327 View Post
Lidless is better, IMO. I often hear the argument that racks with lids are more secure but often the oposite is true. It really depends on the design of the box and lid.

But to the original question in general, I'll agree with others that the ideal rack depends on the species being housed and the temperature of the room they will be in. And there is personal preference which is very important. For example, a contact of mine keeps his snakes up in his attic most of the year but brumates them in the basement, which is two floors down through a tight stairwell. So he wanted racks as light as possible.

But in my opinion, the ultimate rack would...

1) Be built from the hollow core PVC hog panels. Only two companies that I know of use this plastic and yes it's available to the public.

2) Would not use belly or back heat. Instead the hollow core nature of the hollow core PVC would be used to make each shelf into a radiant heat panel and radiate heat down into the tub.

My favorite tubs for racks are the clear polycarbonate tubs from Cambro. Unfortunately they don't come in some of the larger sizes. My second favorite tubs are from Iris.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!