hybird question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
rlapointe
hybird question

i know alot of people are against hybirds but i was wondering has anyone heard of a centralian carpet python or a jungle carpet or a costal? i have a male centralian and was wondering how it would breed with another carpet and what the outcome would be. anyone have thoughts if it would work or not and possible outcomes

Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Uroboros
It seems the morelia spilota group can breed with each other, but why would you want to screw up a centralian gene?

Outcome would be snakes with mutt genetics that would likely not sell very well.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
rlapointe
i more or less was trying to see if i could get the bands on the bredli to be a different color. i mean dont get me wrong i love that snake but i have seen some pretty color hybirds out there like a wall which is a woma and a ball and that snake looks nuts and a carpall which a a carpet and a ball. you never know how something will sell until u do it. it was just and idea and a question there was no need to be rude

Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Tiger Lilly
Don't assume

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlapointe View Post
i more or less was trying to see if i could get the bands on the bredli to be a different color. i mean dont get me wrong i love that snake but i have seen some pretty color hybirds out there like a wall which is a woma and a ball and that snake looks nuts and a carpall which a a carpet and a ball. you never know how something will sell until u do it. it was just and idea and a question there was no need to be rude
It didn't sound like he was trying to be rude, IMHO. You have to understand that when you ask a question to hundreds of thousands of people you don't know, you're going to get ALL types of responses. The rude ones will be usually more easily identified--they're the ones that will flat out tell you you're an idiot (or worse).
Now, in response to your question, to me, motive says a lot when it is put behind question. Your own response shows me that your motive is $$$.
That being said, I think it's terribly wrong to go into creating life for $ profit, if that is your ONLY motive.
What happens if they look like the mutts Herp mentioned, and they don't sell? What would you do with them? Keep them? Give them away? Dispose of them?
On another note, I don't see anything wrong with experimentation, as long as you do plenty of research before hand. Are you knowledgeable in genetics? If not, you could end up with another "pearl," and NO ONE wants that. (I could tell you what that is, but then you wouldn't need to do the research...)
As far as (and btw, the word is) hybrids go, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in hopes of hearing others' opinions on them, doing some research, and make an informed decision later.
Opinions and informed decisions should be made after the subject matter has been researched.
And that is my .02

Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Kiote_9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlapointe View Post
i know alot of people are against hybirds but i was wondering has anyone heard of a centralian carpet python or a jungle carpet or a costal? i have a male centralian and was wondering how it would breed with another carpet and what the outcome would be. anyone have thoughts if it would work or not and possible outcomes
Yes, you can breed them. There are tons of carpet "hybrids" out there. Why do it when we can't get any new australian blood, though. It's not like BPs where we get new normals in every year. It appears to me that the pure strain will bring you more money than making a fancier snake.
JMO.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
rlapointe
my motives are not money i just want to experiment and see what i get and i will be keeping the snakes no matter what and not selling them. i am trying to go for a centralian that stays darker like the color they are as hatchlings and not turn redish brown. i have one of my college genetics profs helping me with the genetics so dont worry about that. i might get something ugly but i might get something amazing, but you will never know until you try. it seemed to work out fine for these people http://www.smuggled.com/hybpyt3.htm

Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Kiote_9
That is a beautiful snake! Good luck with it if you do go that way!

Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Uroboros
I wasn't trying to be rude, just look at the market though. There is almost no such thing as a pure JCP anymore. I'd hate to see that happen with the Bredli's.

Also, I don't really think spilota x spilota is really hybridization, more of just a mixing of genes. BP x carpet would be hybridization.

Bredli's are bad ass, I'd be hunting for an 0.1 Bredli, personally.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
rlapointe
i do not exactly have the money for a 0.1 bredli at the moment and a friend offered me a JCP or a diamond CP for free so i was thinking about going with that. to the person who brought up a BPxJCP its been done its called a CARPALL and it look amazing same with the WALL has to be one of the most amazing patterns iv ever seen on a BP

Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Will0W783
Superballs, aka Blood Balls, are also incredible. Blood python x ball python. I love bloods but prefer ball temperament. My bloods have tagged me several times, and they have nasty teeth! I think when a ball is bred to a short-tailed python it's called Superball and if the ball is bred to a true Blood python then it's called Blood Ball. I have 1.1 true red Blood pythons, and I'm planning on breeding the girl with my normal male BP next season if she is up to size, or if not the season after that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!