Emerald Tree boa not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
mlsslayla
Emerald Tree boa not eating

I have a adult CB male Emerald Tree Boa.I have had him now for 2 months and I cant get him to eat.I have tried F/T and Live mice,Finches,and house geckos.It is not losing any weight and it stays alert.I have seen it go to the bottom of the cage and when it does this I throw a mouse in,but it wont eat it.Please help me I feel that it is starving itself.Is here something that could be wrong with it?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
have you tried leaving prey in when its dark? * not overnight if its a live mouse/rat, just make the room darker and keep watching* when the snake is on a perch? maybe its stressed out?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Uroboros
Mine won't eat until it's been dark for at least an hour. He also only eats live mice from PetCo. I've tried live mice from other places, it doesn't work.

Don't put prey in there when he's on the floor. Parts of him will get eaten. He will hunt from his perch, he will get a particular pose, too, he'll look like he's hunting.

Mine almost never goes to the floor of the cage. Once every blue moon, but that's about it.

I notice that Alicia didn't ask you for the particulars of your setup.

I use an Ecoterra 18 x 18 x 24 with a 50w basking light at one corner. Make sure it's got a basking spot of about 91 degrees (f) and gradients away from that. It's ambient in the day time is about 85 and at night, the whole thing drops to about 75. Humidity is brought to about 80 with a daily misting and is allowed to dry out the rest of the time. If it's particularly dry, he'll get two. Mine has two perches, one about 6" off of the floor about 6" from the front, and one about a foot off the floor set about 6" from the back.

Take a look at how he coils when he's perched. Are the coils nice and tight? Does he look uniform? Loose coils are an indication that he's not comfortable.

Has he ever eaten for you? What was he eating before? What is your setup? Are you certain that it's CB? Who did you get it from?

Two months is about the time I start worrying about mine. ETBs seem to have a slower metabolism than other boa's, though. If he's round and not triangular yet, he's still ok.

I leave live mice in my guy's enclosure overnight all of the time, but mine never hits the floor. If your's spends a lot of time on the floor, don't do this.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
theserpenteer
If the snake had good body weight to begin with, I wouldn't be that worried even at 2 months. I may be concerned about why he's not eating, but not about starving. I certainly wouldn't be trying finches and geckos at this point. I also didn't see you mention small rats.

Others have posted some good ideas, don't feed til after dark. It's not that uncommon for them to go to ground, it happens more than you think. It also could be in breeding mode which would cause it to go off feed. Sometimes they are also in a shed cycle if you see them on the ground. Up the humidity.

Lastly, if it's an adult and CB (captive born, or captive bred, there is a difference), who had it before you. Sounds like maybe you need to ask what it was eating before it came to you.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
arthur08
emerald are really picky u should know that lol but try raising the humidity or temp/ maybe its not high enough the ground n is stressed wat i did was put a perch on a 10gal tank long side up n throw in a rat n left it really dark n he ate it

Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
mlsslayla
Since my husband got back from the army he is doing great.My husband knows alot more then me about snakes but the ETb is eating great now and I havent had a problem since.Thank you for all your help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!