Carpet Python Genetics Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
sallen87
Carpet Python Genetics Question

How's it going. I am posting this thread in a quest for information. As I have recently, become entranced by what I have found to be called a pastel jaguar python.

My question is about the genetics involved to make such an animal. Let me pause to state something, I am not going to breed to produce these animals. I am a bearded dragon breeder. I simply have to have one of these beautiful snakes. I have just been looking, and doing some research, since I want to know as much as I can before I purchase one.

I have noticed some people list theirs as a jaguar carpet python, as a jaguar jungle carpet python, or as a red jaguar carpet python, etc. And I found one or two people producing a pastel jaguar. My question is if these are all of the Morelia spilota chenyei or if they are of the Morelia spilota mcdowelli, etc. or are they a hybrid of the two of the subspecies?

As I have found contradictory evidence in several online resources. Is the jaguar simply a morph that has been found across several of the Morelia spilota subspecies?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
hhmoore
The jaguar morph started in coastal carpets, and was bred into the others later. So a jungle jag is a coastal/jungle cross. (They are often then bred back to more jungles to increase the jungle influence)

I haven't seen pastel jags...but I haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
sallen87
Thanks Harald!

I appreciate it. I always enjoy expanding my collection. Especially, as I believe this may become my prized possession.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
nexus
I'm also interested in aquiring some Jag Carpets. Can anyone recommend good breeders ?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I'm also interested in aquiring some Jag Carpets. Can anyone recommend good breeders ?

Thanks
Look into Mike Curtian (spelling?) on here, he should have some adds in the python classified section.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!