Packing of Shipments - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #1
dzoo
Packing of Shipments

What are thoughts on how suppliers pack their shipments?

I ordered a pair of expensive balls from a well known breeder and they were shipped air freight in a styrofoam box, the snakes were bagged but apart from that there was no packing or padding material in the box just a lot of empty space, now I know that these boxes are not handled gently or neccesarily stay upright during the loading unloading etc. and these snakes probably were flying around in the box and could have been injured or at least traumatized. Is this a common way to pack reptiles?

Now today I received a mixed lot of reptiles from a big wholesaler in Florida and same situation, the items I ordered in the box but no packing or padding material, deli cups were upside down, sideways and a bag of russian torts was on top of a bag of baby sliders. Don't these dealers think about what happens to these animals once they leave their places or do they simply not care?

Another wholesaler I ordered from saved space in the box by putting all the deli cups in sideways to begin with which was not too hot for animals like small spiders that had substrate in the cups - depending on their luck ended up either under them or crushing them! Also deli cups of baby treefrogs had come open and they were loose in the box.

On the other hand I must give major props to dealers like Xtreme reptiles who always stuff the box with shredded paper so everything arrives in good shape. Unfortunately they did not have the item in stock that I needed, or I would not have ordered from the other place.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!