Sick beardie! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
jameseallenii@gmail.com
Unhappy Sick beardie!

I think I have a sick beardie! she had just had a bowel movement(paper was still sopping wet), she was covered in it, so I moved her to the tub, where she had two more bowel mvmts... Both of these had a bunch of tiny(2-3mm) little things in them, sort of cylindrical, but pointed on the ends, like miniature pieces of rice. they were also red, so was the majority of the poo, because they got some chopped up beets in with their food the past few days. The reddish color of the poo doesn't bother me, because that what beets do, but the tiny things in the poo have me worried?

Any theories? I know beardies can get mites, but they are external and not rice shaped. What could these be? Perhaps just digested beets?

Any help or info is apprieciated!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameseallenii@gmail.com View Post
I think I have a sick beardie! she had just had a bowel movement(paper was still sopping wet), she was covered in it, so I moved her to the tub, where she had two more bowel mvmts... Both of these had a bunch of tiny(2-3mm) little things in them, sort of cylindrical, but pointed on the ends, like miniature pieces of rice. they were also red, so was the majority of the poo, because they got some chopped up beets in with their food the past few days. The reddish color of the poo doesn't bother me, because that what beets do, but the tiny things in the poo have me worried?

Any theories? I know beardies can get mites, but they are external and not rice shaped. What could these be? Perhaps just digested beets?

Any help or info is apprieciated!
Try getting your dragon more of a normal dragon diet. Try chopped kale and collards. Then for bugs (feeders) stick with crix and small sized worms. For now, of course. When your feeding exotic things to you dragon, dont be surprised about a odd bowel movement.
I cant answer if that is what beats do, because I dont feed beats or know anyone that does. But that could explain the color and the excess amount of water in the dragons stool. Could be blood? Hard to say. Try this first give it three four days. Then try coming back with results. If something is still funny get a stool sample done by a vet.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
jameseallenii@gmail.com
they usually get greens(collard or mustard) mixed with a number of other veggies and fruits. we've done apples, grapes, blackberries, melons, sweet potato, squash, romaine, green peppers...as far as feeders, they've gotten crickets, mealworms, horned-silkworms, and the occasional pinkie. I think this is a really well rounded diet...lemme know if I'm wrong. They don't get all this stuff, all the time-we switch it up. I cook for a living and I know that it's just as important for my beardies as it is for me to have a varied diet.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
dragonluver83
Quote:
they usually get greens(collard or mustard) mixed with a number of other veggies and fruits. we've done apples, grapes, blackberries, melons, sweet potato, squash, romaine, green peppers...as far as feeders, they've gotten crickets, mealworms, horned-silkworms, and the occasional pinkie. I think this is a really well rounded diet...lemme know if I'm wrong. They don't get all this stuff, all the time-we switch it up. I cook for a living and I know that it's just as important for my beardies as it is for me to have a varied diet.
Yea there is a few things I would change. Just because we can eat it doesnt mean the dragons can. I would get rid of ALL the fruits. I know they eat them and there are people that are feeding there dragons fruits, But there are to many sugars in fruits. Sugar is not good for dragons. It may be where all the extra water is coming from when she poo's. Lets remember your feeding a desert animal. Hydration is good but you can over hydrate your dragon. I wouldnt feed green peppers either. This can mess up a human stomach's. what can it do for a animal that would NEVER encounter this food source where it lives and thrives.
GREENS
Lets try sticking to : Kale, Collard greens, Romaine lettuce, Mustard greens, green squash, yellow squash. You can also get frozen cut string beans and thaw them in hot water. Feed when thawed, Has good vitamins and good hydration. Not full of sugars.
feeders/insects
for feeding bugs i would go with : crix, superworms, dubia roaches.

try and stay clear of the hornworms. I know there a good feeder. BUT full of hydration. That your dragon doesnt need right now. It shouldnt be pooing water when it goes to the bathroom. Maybe alittle but not as much as your describing.

I would try this for about a week and see if it changed anything. One thing I would try to do is feed the dragon the frozen/thawed string beans and or green squash. Since this dragon has SO much water intake, and its rapidly getting rid of it (going to the bathroom). You may dehydrate it, because your not supplying water as much as your dragon may still be getting rid of it.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
jameseallenii@gmail.com
they always get greens(collard/mustard), almost always carrots, then i put in other stuff depending on what's in the kitchen/fridge. and when i say, "they get grapes occasionally", i mean that if there's some grapes in the house, i might cut up 2-3 grapes and mix with the rest of their food. I never just give them a bowl of melons, or a bowl of berries.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
jameseallenii@gmail.com
and the dragon in your profile pic...would you call that a pie-bald red citrus, or trans-red citrus?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
dragonluver83
Quote:
and the dragon in your profile pic...would you call that a pie-bald red citrus, or trans-red citrus?
Okay

try that for a week and see if there is a difference.

The dragon in my avatar is just a red hypo trans. he has some nice yellow and the red offsets that to a orange. the leggs are in shed.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
jellyfishrhythm
Oh no! A yucky poop is always cause for alarm for me, too. I have the burden on knowledge, and I'm a vicariously existing hypochondriac when it comes to my animals.

...I would take a sample of the poop to a vet for a fecal flotation just in case. I spend half my life doing fecal floats (I'm a part-time veterinary technician in addition to my regular career...just to hang around the critters, haha), and "cylindrical miniature rice pieces", even though they're red (the natural dyes in beets will dye ANYTHING red) sound like it could be a parasite to me. Maybe pinworms? I don't know, I'd have to see them to tell ya, but it can't hurt to have a fecal done!

A lot of the time, pinworms aren't a huge deal unless there's an infestation, nematodes are around all the time - and if there were one, you'd probably know, haha. Maybe a check for coccidia wouldn't hurt, either - it's easily treated with Albon (sulfadimethoxine), which is always available at the vet! (I keep some on hand for any time a new critter comes into my house and treat them juuuuuuust in case).

I am in no way trying to alarm you, it's pretty common, haha, and again, I'm just going off of what I know and what you posted...let us know how your little buddy is doing after the change in diet

And I agree with Tom, try a more normal diet and see if that alleviates any issues

I hope your beardie is on the mend!

And Tom, that is one foxy dragon in your avatar...I would give my left foot for a female like that, shoe and all! - - the red/citrus hypo trans are always stunning!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
jameseallenii@gmail.com
They both seem fine. One of them(not sure which, cause i have a pair housed together) dumped in the food bowl, which was great cause it kept it contained and I didn't have to change any paper! but it looked much more like a normal poo...only a tiny bit of liquid, clear, and the fecal matter was normal color. Looks like they're on the rebound. thanks for the info!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
jellyfishrhythm
Glad to hear it!

I know I've talked to you before on another thread - - but I don't think I've seen pictures of your beardies yet. Let's see 'em!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!