Best Beginner Snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Blazing_Tiger
Best Beginner Snake?

I'll start off by saying that i have NEVER had a snake before. But i did have a Bearded Dragon before so im not completely clueless about reptiles. Before obtaining the Bearded Dragon i did my research for at least 2+ weeks.

I've been looking at getting a snake for a long time now. I was just curious as to what snake would be the best beginner snake? I've been told yearling Corn Snakes are probably the best choice for a beginner. I was wondering if this is true and if there are other or better choices for a first Snake.

Along with what snake is best for a beginner, i would like links and care-sheets galore for the specified snake so i can do my research.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Travis Stewart

Old 04-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
AK907
Indeed, a yearling or older corn would be an excellent choice. Care sheets are easy enough to come by. A quick search on google and you'll have all you'll ever need. Definitely get one from a respected breeder and not a pet store.

Some will tell you a ball python. I am not as big on balls for a first snake. Some can be really picky.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Blazing_Tiger
okay, thanks a lot for the confirmation. Could you recommend any breeders?

I found this one site "cornsnakes.net" (South Mountain Reptiles). Do you know anything about them?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
FosterHerpetological
I would recommend vmsherp.com huge selection

Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Blazing_Tiger
Yeah i remember looking at the vmsherp site before but forgot about it. Thanks a lot for reuniting me with it. And besides the selection, are the snakes healthy? And are they handled at all?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
FosterHerpetological
When I first got into corns, I got 11 from them. All were as healthy as can be, ate right away, and all didn't mind to be handled at all.
I would say you can't go wrong getting a corn from them.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Blazing_Tiger
Awesome. Thanks a lot! And i know i can google for some corn snake caresheets and get everything i need, but sometimes the internet can be misleading. Could you recommend any corn snake caresheets?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
FosterHerpetological
Go to aqualandpetsplus.com and look under the snakes section for corn snakes. He says basically everything you really need to know to take care of corns. They are really easy to care for.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Blazing_Tiger
Again, thanks a lot! And thanks for the speedy replies.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
FosterHerpetological
No problem, let me know if you have any more questions!
Stephen

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!