What kind of Boa is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Tiki108
What kind of Boa is this?

Ok, so I got this boa, I was told he is a corn island, but the pictures I've looked at look very different than him.

His tail has a lot of yellow in it, though it's hard to see in the picture.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Metachrosis
Without the origin breeder,its just a snake of the BCI pheno
I do see some hog influence but . . . . . .
I trust your addressing that nose rub ?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Tiki108
Yes, I paniced when I first got him and saw that. I thought he had a rub and mouth rot, but I've been keeping a careful eye on him. These pictures were taken the day I got him. It healed up really good, though today it looked like he might have rubbed in again so I'm getting him a taller cage since I heard that can really help.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Got a tail picture?

Yellow is the base color of most of the boa constrictor sub species, so that isn't much to go by. They do IMO have a distinct color in the tail patches though.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Metachrosis
I did notice the tub looked a good bit small for a snake that size
No doubt it needs a larger home.

If you will cover its cage for a few days it will help the snake
acclimate to its new surroundings,the longer you can leave it "completely alone" the better.
What are you using to treat that wound?

I'll second the tail shot request,as well as a decent shot of the laterals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki108 View Post
Yes, I paniced when I first got him and saw that. I thought he had a rub and mouth rot, but I've been keeping a careful eye on him. These pictures were taken the day I got him. It healed up really good, though today it looked like he might have rubbed in again so I'm getting him a taller cage since I heard that can really help.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
And I'll second the covering up, total darkness for a week thing.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Tiki108
I'm starting to get very worried he has mouth rot. I've never had a snake have it and he hold his mouth funny and open a lot. I asked some people on iHerp and they said for now to just keep an eye on it. What do you guys think?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Tiki108
And I'm making sure to keep his cage dark for now. I let him hang out in the bathtub while I cleaned his cage today. The nose rub was bleeding the first day I had him and I was going to put something on it, but it seems to be healing on it's own so I decided not to stress him out by putting something on it and leave him along unless it comes back.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
spoonersgirl
You might want to take him to a herp vet; appears to me like a possible RI & might need meds.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
I don't see anything screaming mouth rot in those pics. But that rub looks very serious. If his nostrils are blocked internally, either from stuck shed, dried mucous or inflamed and swollen inside due to the irritation from the rub, then it could be breathing the only other way it can.

Did it aspirate any water from the tub? Or is this not the first time you've seen it?

Looks like it has an over bite too, or the upper jaw is just swollen and protruding due to the rub. Was it me, and I used to rehab reptiles, I'd see a vet about the rub. That's a pretty serious rub. Some anti-biotics might help a bunch.

And IMHO, judging by tail color, pattern, and the shadowing on the dorsals, that snake is likely a Hog Island cross.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!