I could really use some help.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
the gecko geek
I could really use some help..

Okay. So it's a really long story, but to sum it all up quickly, I recently completed a transaction with another member here for a snake. (It was a trade, I got a snake, they got a cage)

I was told the snake was a '10 female, and she was a slow grower, had a slight shedding issue, and smaller than her siblings. (Maybe the runt?) When we met up for the trade, the snake was really thin. Like as thin as my albino male that was born on may 4th of this year. Being that I didn't really need the cage anyways, I figured it would be best to just go through with the trade.

The snake was really weak, and could barely support itself. I offered food, and she thankfully ate. So I am almost positive she will recover nicely, and be a great little girl.

My dilemma at this point is more of what I should do about the morality in this situation. I feel like I was played because I am new to snakes, and wonder if the person didn't think I would know the snake was in not so good shape? Also, should I bring something up elsewhere, like the BOI just about the whole situation with how the snake was treated? Just because who knows what their other snakes look like?

I really don't want to get bashed in the BOI for posting something about someone for something like that, but I want to make sure people know about my experience. Any help or advice would he greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
DAND
There is always the option of utilizing the Info choice for the BOI versus Bad Guy or Good Guy.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Focal
At the same time, maybe the seller didn't know

I'm not sure if it's permitted, but maybe post a pic so others can give you their opinion on the snake.

I'm assuming it was a ball? What was the weight before the feeding? How long is she/he?

I'm glad it's in better hands now.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
the gecko geek
I could use the info aspect of the BOI, didn't reallythink of that.

And it was obvious she was in bad shape. Her back looks like a mountain peak, not round in any way. It was actually a boa, she's about 2' long, and weighed 80g before I fed her. My male, again that was born May 4th of this year, weighs 74g. My only other thought of what's wrong is that maybe she's a 2011 and not a 2010 like she was advertised? And the seller didn't think i needed to know? Even though I asked them and they told me it was a '10 snake.

I would post a pic but after her meal she has actually filled out more, and looks pretty round. She still is fairly weak though. (She telescopes and then falls over because she can't hold herself up)

Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
the gecko geek
so it turns out that she has a respiratory infection..and it's not something that just came up in the two weeks I've had her. She has had it for some time now. That is really upsetting. I can't believe that they kept this snake in this condition. not to mention go through with a transaction with it in this condition. I feel so horrible for the snake. I'm not sure what I should do as far as taking this anywhere else. I feel like just licking my wounds and going on with life, but I also feel like I should at least be compensated. Any suggestions??

Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Lucille
I have a suggestion:

Decide whether you want to take it to the BOI or not. If you do, provide emails, pictures, reports, etc.
The seller did tell you that this snake was small and a slow grower. I know that you must have paid careful attention to the seller's description because in this thread you had unkind words for a buyer who did not carefully read an ad: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...68#post1310768.

You had the opportunity to inspect the snake 'in person' and have said that it was very thin. You could have walked away at that point.

I'm not saying that selling runty little snakes is ideal, but as far as being thin, this wasn't slid past you, you had every opportunity to look and refuse the deal. While you say you are new to snakes, you also said that the snake was recognizably thin when you inspected it before completing the trade.

If you can prove that the snake was ill when you received it and that the seller knew that, you might be entitled to some compensation. But be prepared to be able to say exactly how you kept the snake; in your first post, you say you are new to snakes so it is not beyond the realm of possibility that an already frail snake might succumb to illness if there were husbandry issues for two weeks. I'm hoping you have studied and are practicing quarantine procedures.

Even though you are 'new to snakes', you say you previously had a BRB since he was a baby and say that it is 'no longer with you' (What happened?) http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...64#post1314464

When did you take your new snake to the vet?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
the gecko geek
Yes, the seller did tell me that it was small and a slow grower, but never told me she was sick. They told me that other than being small for her age she was fine.

And yes, I know I could have walked away, but I figured that it would be better for the snake to go with someone that would take care of it. And I really didn't need the cage.

I have kept it quarantined.

And my brb was a pet several years ago. (It was either 5 or 6 years ago) My family went on vacation for the summer and I had to go and my aunt was left in charge of the snake. She failed to keep it mister and ultimately cooked and dried the snake.

And I could really care less about compensation at this point. It's more of just getting the word out to be careful that I want. I feel like since I'm "new" I was taken advantage of. And that's just not right to do. It makes the hobby look bad.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
the gecko geek
Oh and the snake was never in an ad, and most of our conversation was via text message..

Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
I also feel like I should at least be compensated. Any suggestions??

10 hours later......

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post

And I could really care less about compensation at this point.

So when did you take your new snake to the vet? How do you know she was sick when you bought her?

I'm sympathetic and sorry you have a sick snake and I hope she recovers. But saying a seller knowingly sold you a sick snake is a serious allegation and you need some proof.
I'm also thinking this ongoing thread is getting into particulars, that you should make up your mind and initiate a BOI thread, or drop the matter.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
the gecko geek
This is why I don't take things to the BOI rather than just listening people have to just attack...

Yeah, in a way I feel like I should be compensated. I got a sick snake and they got a working cage.

At the same time its not really worth it to go through all the arguments..its all childish bull honky..

The ONLY reason I WOULD take it to the BOI is to INFORM people of MY experience with the person and LET THEM DECIDE what THEY want to do about a transaction with THEM. I would NOT be going to destroy the persons rep over it.

Yeah, I took the snake because it wasn't in the best of health, and I knew that. but I was told it was small, not sick.

It wasn't seen by a vet, but by a person that has been breeding boas and other snakes for 12 years. I'm not going to give out their name until I get permission to do so though. I've seen them diagnose snakes, tell how to treat the snake, and the snake be cured. So a very reputable snake breeder/owner has looked at it.
And I don't know how long its been sick. But it is way too advanced to have happened in just two weeks.

I'm not out for blood. Honestly I would really just be happy if i was to confront the person and them tell me the truth about it. I would say thanks for being honest, and if you feel you wanna fix this then go ahead.
But I just want the truth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!