How many documented cases are out there of big snakes swallowing people.? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
herpcondo
How many documented cases are out there of big snakes swallowing people.?

I saw the thread on the 10ft snake "swallowing" a woman up to her waist and i am wondering if there are any actual documented cases available..?
The best i have seen was based on a big blown up picture that was on the office wall of Tom Crutchfield when i use to visit and buy from his facility... It was a pic from WWII of a large snake with a 10-13? year old child swallowed completely. you could clearly see the head, shoulders etc,,, a pretty cool pic. don't know how authentic it really was,,, but made for a good conversation anyway,,,

Old 11-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
Here is one for your enjoyment. Almost sounds as if the kids actually witnessed the real thing, but who knows. I wonder if there is any follow up to this?African Rock Python Swallows Boy??????

Old 11-30-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Here is a link to documentation of two different predatory attacks on humans by Green Anacondas. The attacks were unsuccesful, but it sure has to get you wondering how many may have been succesful over the years. If I remember correctly the author is a bonafide herpetologist.Green Anaconda Predatory (?) Attacks on Humans

Old 11-30-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Make sure to page all the way down on the link about the Green Anaconda attacks as it has still footage of the one that followed the assistant before attempting to attack.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:25 PM   #5
herpcondo
Hey Glenn,,,
Thanks for the couple of links,,, the one about the anacondas is pretty intresting,,, and compelling... so i pose the question,,,
if a large (13ft or above in size,, ) snake does get "hungry" enough do they possibly see us as prey..?
now before i start a uproar about large snakes feeding on "scents" and prey recognition.. etc,, and how there are tons of very docile large snakes in captivity,,, etc,,, i just wonder if "hunger" will ever overcome the prey recognition,, and scent stimuli to force a large snake to "feed one something out of its regular scope of "prey items"?
It does happen with alligators,,, ( ie all the documented cases of dog attacks in the past in fla) and with other reptiles,,, (ie lizard feeders such as grey bands taking mice etc..) just something to ponder...?!

I wish i had the picture that was hanging on the wall in Tom Critchfields office,, it was quite compelling and a really good picture with a lot of detail....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!