Caudal luring in Boa Constrictor imperator - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Caudal luring in Boa Constrictor imperator

Caudal luring is most commonly seen in species such as the green tree python and copperhead among others, I've noticed that some young BCi do this as well. This is when the snake will twitch the tip of their tail to attract prey and not to be confused with the tail rattle behavior that is seen in a lot of colubrids.

Last night while cleaning some cages I caught one of my young boas doing this and decided to film it. I've only seen this behavior in babies and juvis. Anyways, just thought it was interesting. Sorry for the not so great lighting -

and yes, he is getting fed tomorrow

Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Muscle Morph Constrictors
That's wild! I've never seen any of my boas do that.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
mxracer4life
That's pretty cool to catch on video. I have heard of it, but never seen anything like than other than males while there courting the female. Thanks for sharing April.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Snakesitter
Wow, great vid! I too had heard of it but never witnessed it.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
and yes, he is getting fed tomorrow
LMAO!! I didn't see this part until after I saw the vid. The whole time I was watching, I was wondering if he was expecting food, or if was at least close to feeding day.

I've only seen my baby boas do that. But it was a little faster...and they kept trying to give me a "kiss"!! lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!