stirring up the pot..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
riverjop
Question stirring up the pot.....

Ok, I noticed that alot of you have African Fat Tail's. And I was wondering? Has anyone tryed or been successful in cross-breeding the two different species togeather?
Is it possible? and has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
They seemed to have evolved in Convergent evolution, only to split into allopatric speciation?
How closely are they related?
anyone?

Old 04-21-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
riverjop
OK...so no one will "comment"! Hmmmmm...
That really makes me suspicious! LOL
OK! so your thinking...[you can't do that] [thats imoral] [that would ruin the genetics of either species] [why would anyone want to do that]
OK....its not like there arn't thousands of leo's out there and most sold now days would never be found in the wild! as a matter of fact if you took any of these tangs, stripes, etc.... they would eventually return back to there original colors. (case in point) [goldfish] take goldfish that have been bred for thousands of years to be gold, let them go in a local lake (don't really do this) and after a few years they are already reverting back to there original color, dark, dull, browns etc.... colors that will help them to survive.
So back to Fat Tails & Leo's
It's not that your trying to change asper and wheeleri into something!
were talking about two species that seemed to have evolved thru allopatric speciation, be it the African continent moved away from asia and formed the mediteranian sea or other reasons.
So I ask again has anyone tryed to cross breed the two and/or is it possible?
It's just a question!!!!

Old 04-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
I'll answer...

The question has been asked for as long as I've been working with Leopard Geckos (almost 10 years!), and some have claimed to have observed copulation between them. But, although they look similar, are complete different species... just like crocodiles and alligators.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
riverjop
Question

I wonder if any breeders out there have ever done a genetic makeup of both species. you do know that they have crossed tigers and lions (ligers) and horses and zebras (zorses) and Nile monitors and Geckos (snack) ok...ok not the last one! But there are many many examples of crossbreeding. Just look at your dog!
But that is interesting for that you have heard that question for years, makes me even wonder more....hmmmmmmm
think of the color and pattern's you could get? hmmmmm lol

Old 04-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
Bryan Self
I as well have heard this for years. I have never tried it nor do I think I would. Most of my reason come from my keeping of boas. If you want to see a fight start posting about crossing differnet bci's. It gets quite ugly. I have feelings that most boas are crossbred, but try getting a purest to admit it. Reptiles do not obey man made lines so different species cross over them all the time. But with afts and leos we are talking about geckos that live on different continents. The odds of them running into each other in the wild are next to none. Were making different colors than normal a fun experment. I do not think we should try to play God and make new species.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
diablohogs
hybridizing

i know im probably dancing on a minefield even mentioning this but i think its possible. matter of fact ive seen pictures in the leopard gecko manual that appear to be a cross of AFT x leo. it was hinting at the fact that it was some bizzarre color morph but i feel its probably a cross.

corn snakes and king snakes dont look the same yet they have been crossed. prarie kingsnakes (king corns), corndurans, gray band corn crosses, ect... all have been accomplished in snakes and none of those snakes are asestically similar enough to really even assume that they would work.

the best way to find out... try it for yourself... if you produce some ill buy one.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
Snakebyt
it has been tried before, sure alot of snakes have been crossed, but it dont work that way with leopards and fat tails.
maybe more people will start owrking with fat tails and there will be soem more morphs available in the future

Old 04-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
riverjop
Question

In any case it does post an interesting question! .................................................. .....................................
Now I gotta get back to my lab....Now lets see tremper giant, bell albino, stripe...no...wrong color....ok..RW alby and a giant....naw the eyes arn't right! GEZZZ!!!!!! THIS PLAYING GOD THING IS REALLY HARD WORK!

EDIT: thats why I called it "stirring up the pot"

Old 04-21-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
diablohogs
LOL!

Quote:
THIS PLAYING GOD THING IS REALLY HARD WORK!
im pretty sure god would have an easier time than us creating a melanistic leopard gecko. *POOF* you're black.

i highly doubt god linebreeds.

if anyone happens to talk to god could you ask him about the green blooded skink?

Old 04-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
robin d.
the mere mention of the word hybrid or crossbreed (intentional)

::: will keep mouth shut ::::
::will refrain from posting on this subject matter:::

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!