thermostat for 4 identical cages - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
PiercedAmmo
thermostat for 4 identical cages

So I have always used heatpads from Petsmart that don't need a thermostat. I recently bought 4 matching 4x2x1 cages and got 23x11 ultratherm heatpads with them. I am wondering if I need 4 separate thermostats or if u can use one and plug all of the heatpads into a surge protector. Or maybe a thermostat that has 4 Ports to plug in to?

Help? All of the cages will be set to the same temps also.

Thanks!!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
TexasVipRoom
There is no issue plugging them into one surge protector and then putting the probe on one of the middle heating pads to control all of the temps. They should all be very close in temp. Just make sure that you check the temp on each one and dont assume they are all the same. good luck and feel free to message me with any questions

Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Tim Cole
I agree with Danny.

I have three racks running on one thermostat (Johnson Control) with a surge protector and two more with the same set-up with no problems for the last 10 years.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
radera5
Could get a Herpstat 4. They are fantastic and would control exactly what you need. They have 4 probes, hence the name Herpstat "4".

This option is going to be much more pricey but I would much rather make sure the temps stay where they should. I like eliminating the possibility of any failure as much as possible when it comes to heating.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
TexasVipRoom
I just depends on the money you are wanting to spend. I like both options. They both skin the cat. Herp stat is a great controller and amanda is correct they ar expensive but you do get what you play for. You can also use a ranco controller and they work great too. I have both and havent had a problem with either one of them.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Durante
I'm not trying to start a battle but I'm going to have to disagree with some of the other comments. I have 3 identical enclosures & without a doubt notice changes in temperature. I'm not sure how my setups differs from others & that could be a reason or explain the different results between us but I can easily detect a change greater then 2 or 3 degrees & depending on what species of critter your keeping a few degrees can make a huge difference.
I'm using Melamine enclosures with a height of 18inchs, each contains a 80 watt panel hooked up to herpstat1. The lowest cage is about 7 inches from the floor. I see differences not only on each thermometer but also on the power usage on each herpstat & they are all configured with the same settings. Heat definitely rises (even belly heat) & stacking multiple cage with heating elements definitely influences changes in each similar enclosure. I would even go as far as to say the placement of the enclosures in your home could cause changes.
I like temp guns too, its a good way to not only verify your probes but its nice to get a multiple readings of different enclosures on the same device.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
TexasVipRoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post
I'm not trying to start a battle but I'm going to have to disagree with some of the other comments. I have 3 identical enclosures & without a doubt notice changes in temperature. I'm not sure how my setups differs from others & that could be a reason or explain the different results between us but I can easily detect a change greater then 2 or 3 degrees & depending on what species of critter your keeping a few degrees can make a huge difference.
I'm using Melamine enclosures with a height of 18inchs, each contains a 80 watt panel hooked up to herpstat1. The lowest cage is about 7 inches from the floor. I see differences not only on each thermometer but also on the power usage on each herpstat & they are all configured with the same settings. Heat definitely rises (even belly heat) & stacking multiple cage with heating elements definitely influences changes in each similar enclosure. I would even go as far as to say the placement of the enclosures in your home could cause changes.
I like temp guns too, its a good way to not only verify your probes but its nice to get a multiple readings of different enclosures on the same device.
I agree with the statements above. There are many things that can cause your temps to change and be different then someone else. Things like where it is in your house, what flooring its on, what temp you keep your house, what species you keep, where you place your probe etc and the list goes on. Keep all of that in mind when you are setting it up.

I also like to use a temp gun.

The temps will vary. If you are using it for BPs then I would say you are fine. I keep carpets and balls on a setup with one controller running multiple cages. It works great with no issues if you are housing something else then I am afraid I am of no help lol.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
PiercedAmmo
I am housing 4 redtail boas. My plan was to stack them and put the probe in the cage second from the top since the heat will rise. I know that they bottom cage will be a little cooler and the top one a little warmer but I am hoping that it will not make that much of a difference. If it does then it looks like I will be getting more than one thermostat

Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedAmmo View Post
I am housing 4 redtail boas. My plan was to stack them and put the probe in the cage second from the top since the heat will rise. I know that they bottom cage will be a little cooler and the top one a little warmer but I am hoping that it will not make that much of a difference. If it does then it looks like I will be getting more than one thermostat
I house 3 redtail boas & only have a 3 enclosure stack. I know you said your "hoping" & I'm not saying it to be mean but hope doesn't go as far as a herpstat or some other kind of thermostat.
If I only placed a single probe in the middle enclosure differences in my bottom enclosure on a cold night or two is enough that the boa in the lower cage could easily get sick or have digestion problems. If I placed the probe in the lower enclosure I probably would cook the boa above.
Like I mention, you may have different factors to consider then me but I rather be safe then sorry. If you think it would help, I have no problem taking photos to show you the differences. I just hate to see something happen to one of the other 3 snakes while waiting for equipment to ship. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!