Breeding feeder rats in garage, safe? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Chris577
Breeding feeder rats in garage, safe?

Hey guys,
Sorry if I missed this topic in another thread but I cant seem to find to much reliable information on it. I have been wanting to breed my own feeder rodents (rats) for some time now. While at Repticon I was speaking with a guy selling rat racks. He said he lives in Florida and his entire garage is full of rat racks. He says the only thing he does is use box fans in the summer to cool them off and they breed fine. The only issue I was running into was no room in my house/the odor so this seemed to solve my problem. I was wondering if anyone does or has information on keeping rats in a garage. I live in Georgia so hot summers and cool winters (IMO). Was the guy just feeding me BS to get me to buy the rack or is it possible and safe for the rats to keep them in the garage with a fan during the summer. I assume winter would be fine with some bedding, and some extra things to make a nest with? Im not looking to get an a/c unit for the garage due to the cost and issues it will have with rat hair clogging it up. I would love to embark on this journey but if it is cruel to the rats I don't want to. Would a fan be enough in the summer to keep them comfortable? Anyone with experience or knowledge of this your advice would be greatly appreciated. I am aware of the possibility of wild animals coming inside and the risk it brings to the feeders and yes I am very aware that they will probably smell much worse in the garage heat than inside. Im really just looking for answers on if it is safe to keep them in the garage with just a fan. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
enharmonic
They seem to do best between 60 and 75. Toss a fan out there on a hot day, and if you feel nice and comfy, they will too =]

Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Rate generally do fine in the same temps people do - so if you would be uncomfortable probably they would too....

Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Chris577
Thanks! I think I will give it a try

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!