I got ALL of their attention today.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
RedQuake
I got ALL of their attention today....

I hate to admit it but i'm a pack rat. For example I have kept so many containers for use as eventual humid hides that they take up two huge boxes and an entire shelf in my cabnet...and thats just one aspect of the gecko materials i have, it doesn't even cover my art supplies LOL.

So today was a cleaning day for me........I spent most of it in the gecko room cleaning out boxes, throwing stuff out, organizing.....And despite getting some of it done, feeling just a little bit proud that i did accomplish something there is still so much to be done.

Well in the process of all of this i find that my geckos are all taking part in watching what i'm doing. I mean all of them! It was actually kinda creepy. Figures though. They all watch while i work my butt off LOL. Zoe was right out at the glass following my every move and my crested geckos were all up on one side of the tank staring LOL. Now ok, i know its silly to get the creepies from my geckos but i almost had to cover the tanks hehe.

I should go post in the Sound Off forum........today i decide to clean up as my parents have bugged me to non stop but the moment i go to do it, they do everything to disturb me. Then theres the dog wanting to play and the cats meowing non stop LOL..........I actually think Zoe wanted out today. Even Bronx was interested in what i was doing......a big thing for my *Mr. Grumpy* LOL.

I'm doing my best to make this room presentable for a party we are having later this month. I want to show off my guys, is that a bad thing? Most of the people attending will be extended family
and most are unimpressed with anything i've ever done or liked. I'm sure i'll get the usual *reptiles aren't a girls pet* or something like that but i'm proud of my guys. Its a rather futile attempt at getting some sort of approval from them. In reality i can only share my love of reptiles on forums like this with people like you.

Does anyone else feel alone in having this hobby?

Zoe is laying across the mealworm dish.......and it has mealworms in it LOL......must be her way of getting a tummy rub hehehe. Wheres my camera when i need it HAHAHA.......

Well thanks for reading, i'm looking forward to starting up the work again tomorrow and seeing what type of reactions i'll get from the gang hehe.

Red

Old 06-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
brianskibinski
Re: I got ALL of their attention today....

Quote:
Does anyone else feel alone in having this hobby?
I think everyone in this hobby feels alone at one point or another. That's why we all always have each other here at the forums, and also why shows are so popular lately. It's nice to find a group you can relate to. My family doesn't like it either but they just kinda let me do my thing. I still can't convince them that my cat is friendly, so they'd never go for leos. Oh well. Comes with the territory I guess.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
ChuUtena
Alone? Nah, try deserted

I guess I am lucky in that my boyfriend accepts (and every so often gets excited, he evens calls himself "Dad" with my babies) and that some of my friends are okay with the gecko "problem" But when I get really excited and want to share something with someone, I feel very alone in this whole herping addiction. I guess it's just not something everyone understands or even cares about. But I agree with Brian that, that is why shows are so popular, because there you feel normal. I will relate this back to anime watchers. When you are in your element, you feel welcome and similar to everyone around. When you're not surounded, you wonder what is wrong with you. oooor maybe that's just me! Off to feed!

Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 AM   #4
StinaUIUC
I feel alone in it a lot of times...my dad thinks its stupid...my brotehr doesn't really care one way or the other...none of my friends really care one way or the other...I had roomies that were afraid of them (though why is beyond me...lol). I do have a strange mom though...she would NEVER own any reptile....but she'll randomly walk into my room and be like "is he up???!"...referring to my "friendly Bronx (LOL)". She loves holding him for some reason...although she did manage to get bitten by him when I first got back from school because she's a COMPLETE spaz...lol My neighbors' son also LOVES them...he wants to get one actually....although I really dont' think its such a good idea...and example of why I think that: they bought a frog and ended up "letting it go" in the stream in my backyard....besides that that's a bad idea in its own right.....it was January and freezing cold out........However good thing if they got a leo would be that I could take if they decided they couldn't take care of it.....lol I guess it really depends on who you know...kids tend to LOVE them!...hehe

Old 06-10-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Tazz10
I bought my first gecko ever in April and everyone (family, friends, work colleagues) stared at me with big eyes. After seeing photos, or the little guy himself, they started getting interested and asking questions. And now that he wants out almost every evening (he HAS to climb up my arm), most people realized that yes, a gecko is a real pet.
Showing and explaining is the best way to get people interested (as long as the geckos don't get stressed out). And leos are soooo cute, you can't not like them.

Okay, someone has had dinner and wants out NOW... pfff I am getting orders from a gecko...

Old 06-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
Xelda
Hahaha, cute story. I don't have all my leos in the same room, so I've never run into the situation of having them all stare at me. lol Do they ever notice each other or do you position the tanks so that they're not able to? And yeah, I have a ton of containers too for future humid hides. :-x

Old 06-10-2004, 01:44 AM   #7
Manhattan Herps
LOL

Cute story red,
Fortunatly for me my family is into herps...my dad has 3 beardies my sisters each have 1 baby leo and my mom has a 2 ft ball python LOL

whenever i clean the racks ou they all look up at me like they're saying "HEY!! I KNOW YOU!!" LOL

Old 06-10-2004, 05:31 AM   #8
Lucille
Good job!! As a parent, I think what you are doing will really help you in your hobby. If your room is spotless and presentable (dusted, bed made, etc.) and all the pets in clean, nicely displayed cages, the tour given while the party is in progress will be a real treat for those attending.
Some advice:
Ask that no one open the cages/terrariums, you do not want to worry about a lost animal in the middle of the party
Have some interesting facts to talk about as you give the tour.
Go out of your way to give your room a real 'decorator look' if it isn't like that already: a plant or two, some pics of geckos (you can download and print for like 10 cents at the library if you don't have a color printer at home).
Respond only to positive comments; if someone says how they don't like reptiles (there's one in every bunch) or that reptiles are not for girls, totally don't respond; that way people present will focus only on the good comments and nice presentation.
This will have reverberations far beyond the party; if the tour is a success keep the room clean and further guests may be toured by your family, this may lead to more supplies/ animals being purchased for you by your family, as well as a proud and positive attitude on their part.
Good luck and report back, the day of the party, and let us know how it goes!!

Old 06-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
josh06
HaHa Red, my room(actually just a walk in closet) is the same way. I have so much stuff that I have saved in case I ever need to use it again. I probably need to clean it out, but I'm too lazy. I think i might have about 20 humid hides, and about 50 potential water/food dishes....lol.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #10
RedQuake
Wow i didn't expect so many replies Thankyou! My parents and brothers think the geckos are neat. My mom likes to come in and take a look now and then and they were all surprised to see how much Zoe has grown. My dad even took me to the last show and we will all be going to the next one (we have to attend a christening that day too and i refused to miss the show, but i think my mom might end up staying in the car as she doesn't like snakes hehe).

StinaUIUC i wish my Bronx was freiendly, last night i went to mist his humid hide and he got into attack posture LOL.
ChuUtena i agree. Not having anyone around that gets as excited as i, does make me feel that theres something wrong with me.
Xelda, all of my tanks are currently in one large 8ft unit so the geckos can't see eachother. And i'm restricted to keeping them here. Theres really no room in our house for me to be spreading out tanks LOL, but thats alright with me....i like sitting at the computer and being able to watch them all.

This room is no longer my bedroom. Its now across the small hallway down here. Its not that things are dirty just that i have to much for the space i have. I like open concept with alot of room and theres just no way i can have that with the furniture i have. I also have alot of art/craft stuff, my computer (the desk takes up one wall as its huge) amoung other stuff. I was engaged so we collected a ton....then family started getting us stuff and when things went sour i was left with 90% of it. I could honestly come close to filling a house of my own. I also like building/woodworking so i have alot of my own tools. I have to keep them down here or my brothers will get their hands on them and they will disappear LOL. (i built my 8ft unit and just yesterday a hutch for my other desk in my bedroom.)

I can't do any of my artwork in here since the paint or other materials can be harmful to the geckos so i've setup a desk in my bedroom to do it. I've got my other gecko unit setup now and ready for any newbies i bring home this weekend. I will be picking up my two male aft's for sure. I'm excited!!! I think i'm just going ape cause i want everything perfect for this party. I love my extended family but they have always compared me to my cousin and i've never measured up. The advice to only respond to positive comments is a great one and no one will be permitted to handle any of them. I'd be to worried about dropped tails.

I have gone all out for my animals, worked so hard to make them comfortable, spend most of my time tending to them and find such enjoyment from all of it. I just want to be able to share that without ridicule. I'll let everyone know how the party goes, its in two weeks so i still have time to nit pick and make the room just perfect. Oh, someone mentioned plants.....that was one of my first thoughts for making it look more *homey*. I also have a ton of gecko pics i've taken so i was thinking of putting them all up on the inside and outside of the door.

Red

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!