Help with common snapper - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
eljstarr
Talking Help with common snapper

NE1 with info on hatchling common snappers please help if you can. My husband & I were out hiking about 2 months ago & came across a hatchling snapper. He was in a place where there was no food or water & surely would have died, so we helped him out. He has been with us ever since. He eats rosy red feeders, a few reptomin turtle sticks & some fresh foods & has a pretty nice set-up. This is actually my 3rd snapper hatchling. This time I can not find a place for him. We will be going over the road in a few months on a tractor trailer so he obviously cannot come I have been told to not release them once they have relied upon a human for food & he is just so small, & to be quite honest I have grown quite attached to him so I do not want to think of the cute little fellow starving or being eaten by another. I do have several pics of this little guy. I live in southwest Missouri & if you know of someone that could give this guy a home or even someone with a nice little pond that doesn't mind having a snapper around please let me know. He is not to be eaten either!!! I'm also not quite sure of the laws so I dare not advertise him. NE info will be appreciated. Thanks so much. Laura[/color]

Old 06-14-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Vince
Reptiles, unlike mammals have overwhelming natural instincts, no matter how long they are captive. find a nice swampy lake or pond and your little snapper will be just fine. I have released many many baby turtles over the years( native species of cource)

they only time a reptile should not be set free is if it is an alien speices. or a large preditor like a gator. a snapper would be more then fine back in the wild.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
eljstarr
Thanks

Thanks for your info. I'm just going to have a hard time turning him loose because he is so small- I'd hate to think of him being eaten. Somehow I have grown quite attatched to him. I know it's because I feed him, but it's so cute when he comes swimming over to my hand and will climb up on it for food. Who would have thought that I would have a snapper climbing up on my hand? LOL I'll see what happens in the next few months. I would like to see a snapper lover take him and provide a wonderful home. But if all else fails I will release him into a small pond & hope all goes well. Thanks so much. Laura
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_0431.jpg (22.0 KB, 162 views)

Old 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
Vince
lol he is kinda cute. maybe you can find some one in your area who wants a new pet? good luck with everything!

Old 06-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #5
eljstarr
LOL Yeah he is. I'm pretty proud of the little guy. Thanks so much for your info. Have a great day. Laura
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_0429.jpg (33.6 KB, 190 views)

Old 06-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Glenn Bartley
Nice snapper. I can understand the impulse you succumbed to when you caught it and took it home. Next time it would likely be better to leave the turtle where you found it if you cannot keep it. It had a decent chance at survival. Snapping Turtles often lay their eggs far from bodies of water. Female snapping turtles have been known to lay eggs over 1/2 mile from the nearest body of water and I have heard reports of their being over a mile away from water when laying eggs. Go figure...,

I do wish you luck in giving it to someone else. Releasing it could cause problems especially if you keep other turtles with which this one may have been in contact. Diseases passed on from captive specimens to wild caught populations are a concern regarding release of captive animals back into nature. Chances are, in my opinion, small that such would happen by releasing this turtle, but that is a chance you would be taking. It also may be illegal to release a captive specimen back into the wild in your state. There are usually exceptions to this rule, especially concerning release on property that you own. Probably best to find someone else who will take him. Good luck.

Best regards,
GB

Old 06-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #7
turtlepimp
If your snapper has not been in contact with anything non-native,he's cool for release.I recommend growing him up a bit,kinda head start him.Everything and thier brother eats baby snappers in the wild.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
RedEaredSlider
Id take em if I had a way to get to em! Where are ye located? I'm in GA

Old 07-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
Wu-Gwei
It's natural to want to help, but you know mother nature has a way to taking care of the animals and a balance is usually achieved. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.... that is fine for all the other animals, but you want to help this little one. Well, my advice is keep is for a year or two and do not let it interact with any other animals, so it won't paick up any nasties, and release it when it gets bigger nearby where you found it.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 04-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
ACEtheturtlefeind
im very interseted

Hi my name is Aaron and i am very interseted in this little guy, i love snappers and i already have a Florida Snapping Turtle and (i think) i take great care of him. I would be willing to pay shipping on him, if you are willing to ship him. I have been looking for a hatchling Common Snapping Turtle for a long time and i would love to help you and this little guy out of your difficult situation. I live in Michigan and i can provide a a 55 gallon aquarium for him with all the other things that he needs (heat lamp, UVB lamp, fully submergible heater ect.). Well i hope that you will consider me as a new home for your snapper.

sincerely,
Aaron

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!