Controversial stuff: Would you vote for it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
Lucille
Controversial stuff: Would you vote for it?

Nothing wrong with a bit of discussion and controversy. If the following were ever actually up for a vote (and some of them have been), which way would you vote on them?

1) Polygamy

2) Polyandry

3) Prostitution

4) Gay marriage

5) Lucille for President

Old 07-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
bcfos
Re: Controversial stuff: Would you vote for it?

1) Polygamy No even the Mormons voted this down

2) Polyandry Why piss off even more housewives?

3) Prostitution Why not? Wht harm does it do and it makes big
money in Nevada

4) Gay marriage No way in hell it will pass in the South, maybe
in California where they are everywhere

5) Lucille for President A female president? Not just yet.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
Sybella
1) Polygamy

2) Polyandry

I doubt either would fly for many reasons...and while I feel that people's choices should be up to them, I doubt I would be compelled to vote either way.

3) Prostitution

My only problem with prostitution is the diseases and "crud" that gets passed around. It's the oldest profession in the world for a reason...and as long as there are men and women, there's no way to stop it. I think it should be legalized BUT there has to be a way to control STD's.

4) Gay marriage

Heck ya! If two hearts find love and want to spend the rest of their lives together, they should be allowed to AND have the perks and protection that m/f marriages have; like spousal health insurance, widows benefits, etc. It's what inside that counts and gender is part of the "packaging."

5) Lucille for President

I think we've come a long way but a woman for president may be a little too radical still. But, I'd vote yes...if I liked her.

I normally don't vote because I'm not into politics; I'm liberal but not political. What bothers me the most is that people give more consideration to giving a job reference than they do voting. "Gee that person looks good in a tie...I'll vote for him." LOL! But really, what do we KNOW about these people to actually vote for them? Plus, on the flipside, I think those who do put a lot of research in, don't get enough credit. I mean, votes don't count too much when you have an electoral college that votes for you, and has the final say.

But, who am I to complain when I don't vote. (I refuse to make uneducated votes so I don't do it.) I've only voted once...I voted yes for medical marijuana.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Lucille
Well vote for me, sister!
My platform:

Men would have to do 50% of the housework
Women would get store discounts on chocolate during 'that time of month' (thereby decreasing PMS homicides considerably)
Millions of unemployed fire ants in Texas could be sent to a facility specifically built to house men who father children and then do not pay child support

And instead of sitting in jail, criminals would be required to :
Wait in line for you at Driver's License facilities
Wait in line for you at Walmart customer service return areas
Do all your Christmas shopping at malls
Negotiate new car deals
Motivate teenagers to clean their room
and
Fix cheap vacuum cleaners including pulling all of the yucky stuff out of the hose with a bent clothes hanger.

The following would be taxed heavily:
Illegal drugs
Liquor
Cigarettes
Cockfighting
Dogfighting
Fish fighting
Lawn mowers costing over $1,000
Barbeque grills costing over $1,000
Hulk Hogan

The following would be tax free:
Reptiles
Chocolate
Cheesecake
Coffee
Children's clothes
Anything bought at malls

Well, there you have it!!! Lucille for Prez!!!

Old 07-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #5
Sybella
LOLOLOLOL!!

A few questions, Canidate Lucille...

How about banning tv ads for feminine products?? You don't see ads for jock itch, why does the world need to see our personal stuff like ads Tampax and Monistat 7?

How about dispenser requirements for all public restrooms, with feminine need products and chocolate? Gas stations must have air and water for cars...it only makes sense.

For childcare, do you think jobs should have free childcare as a perk in the benefits package? Isn't unfair that women make less money than men yet have to pay a babysitter too? This is a major hardship on single moms, and would be a benefit to single parents in general. How do you feel about this?

Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
Lucille
And my replies:

TV: For the last 10 years or more, I have watched well under 10 hours of TV a year, mostly old Star Trek NG episodes. I suggest you do the same, then advertising content would not matter.

Dispensers: No. Somehow, that stuff has to be free. When I was working in an elementary school as a nurse, I would have 5th graders come into the clinic needing supplies. Before me, the school charged a quarter for supplies; I gave them free, purchasing them mostly with my own funds. I worked in a very poor area, and often 25 cents meant the child would not have the necessary 40 cents for her reduced price lunch.

Child care.
This, along with medical care and education, are the most important expenditures that society can make. I would find some way to make child care, medical care, and education free for all, and of the highest quality. There is no more important way our dollars can be spent. Additionally, a strong defense and modern, well organized police force is needed; and we should pay the people who defend us what they are worth; other that judges, there are no people in society with as much power and discretion to immediately make a huge positive difference in a life than our police. And I believe it can be done without raising taxes, by improving efficiency and being careful about spending. If additional funds are needed, I believe that taxing spam would bring in billions, and certainly no one would shed tears if some of the spammers gave up because of it.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:12 AM   #7
sirenofthestorm
By polygamy, I'm assuming you mean polygyny - the marriage of one man to more than one woman at a time.

I would vote for BOTH forms of polygamy if passing of one were contigent on passing of the other.

Gay marriage: I agree with sybella, no reason anyone who isn't in love with someone else shouldn't be able to have legal and ceremonial benefits just because their sexual orientation isn't "correct". If gay parents, single parents, and grand parents are filling the traditional roles parents in a nuclear family, why can't we update the legal definition of family?

Prostitution: I'd vote for it IF there was heavy regulation of the industry, regular std testing of the sex workers, mandatory condom use, and a union for those ladies (or men).

I'd vote for whomever I felt was the better candidate, regardless of gender, race, age, ability to cheat on their spouse, or put sentences together with correct grammar and syntax (altho I'm pretty sure I'd want the person with correct grammar and syntax addressing the UN). That being said, I'd LOVE to see a woman nominated for president by any party, but my vote would not go to her unless she had a consistent track record and I agreed with her position on women and children's issues at the very least.

-Whit

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!