Craigs list?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
misthold
Craigs list??

I am curious, but how much is using Craigs list, a somewhat common practice is? selling animals is prohibited, yet seems to be ok with reptiles??

Why is it ok? is it ok as a general rule??
I ask because I am very much active in the dog community.. and despite people doing this.. as a general rule.. it is NOT a ok place.. rules or not.. people who do are NOT considered "good examples" not a representation of the community as a whole but the few bad apples in a bunch.. this is something mentioned and said in a dozen places..
But I have not found any information on this practice good/bad or questionable anywhere? so using craigs list ok??

Second question.. as a breeder how do you feel about someone using your name.. in said adds??

One type is to say heck not a questionable import, or pet store purchase.. given good care.. got my animal from XXX.. as a way to prove health of said animal.. ok makes a lot of good points.. lets face it not only if WC. CB or CH matters in reptiles, long term care even before sale can impact the animals long term health.. so a resonable factor, this I dont have a huge issue with..

But the more common use of name dropping is (in my area) is to drop the name of a national recognized facility to "sell" the animals breeding potential.. not early care but heck more valuable as a "breeding animal" not healthy as a adoption.. as a PET.. that I find odd.. so is this ok?? dont mind someone who purchased the animal cannot keep or changed mind for what ever reason using your name to SELL the animal on craigs list??

there is a ton of grey areas in these questions, just looking for some perspective..

Thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Lucille
Craigslist is simply a selling platform If a seller is honest why would it make any difference where the sale takes place? If a seller is dishonest, they could advertise in the most uptown of sites and that would not validate their dishonesty.

There appear to be a lot of scammers on CL and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. But there are also good sellers who want to sell local and find Craigslist a convenient way to do that.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
misthold
I agree.. but...

How a vendor sells is NOT a indication on ethics.. for the record how they handle each sale, screen if appropriate, educate etc is.. online or classified, heck even pet store.. matters.. sales and how.. is a very grey area, and one thing does NOT indicate good bad.. despite all the crap out there that ruin it.. ..

However.. Craigs list, specifically.. the pet section per the "terms of the site" states NO selling of animals.. no selling of breeding animals.. So yes I find the multiple examples of this selling or pushing the animals breeding potential questionable ON CRAIGS LIST PET SECTION..

Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
people sell animals on CL all the time, they just list it as "pet" to skirt the rules. Been that way since I can remember.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by misthold View Post

However.. Craigs list, specifically.. the pet section per the "terms of the site" states NO selling of animals.. no selling of breeding animals.. So yes I find the multiple examples of this selling or pushing the animals breeding potential questionable ON CRAIGS LIST PET SECTION..
I do not know why CL has that rule. However, they do not seem to enforce it, and it is enforceable, Ebay enforces a modified rule (I believe one can sell bird eggs and some kinds of bugs on Ebay).

Is one questionable if one engages in a prohibited but generally unenforced action? Jaywalking?
If there are ethical sellers that find their critters a good loving safe home on CL whether the critters are snakes or dogs are you saying they are questionable?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Jermosh
The Rule really depends on reports. What happens is they will get someone very anti-snakes who just watched something on Animal Planet. Rodent feeders is a big report, they are worried about feeding the rodent live, even if the ad says F/T. So you will find the rule is enforced based on the location.

I will try to contact the persons and offer to ask there concerns, I will invite them to a show or up to a rescue so they can see what the animals are actually like. So AZ Phoenix area is not that bad.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
bcr229
There are many deals to be had on CL if you are careful and can filter the gold from the dross. I picked up a spinner from a local breeder there last year, and three more from him this year that were not advertised on CL but on his own web page.

You can also find the larger enclosures for boas and giant snakes listed there for very low prices, as they're quite expensive to ship. I think I paid about a third of what new ones would cost for my 96"x30" enclosures because I had a truck, could pick them up immediately, and was willing to pay the asked-for price in cash.

As for selling there... I'd rather make a local sale so I can keep track of my babies' progress over the years, and help new owners get the proper equipment and correct setups for their new pets, something that big box stores fail to do way too often.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
misthold
thanks everyone..
IMOP.. how the seller conducts business, places their animals.. is the real truth.. not how they advertise. but I was curious about the general Hobby's opinion on it..

I am always looking for the odd, project or heck rescue.. would never think of looking specifically as a place to purchase..

interesting to hear the different sides..

Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Herps Alive!
We use Craigslist to sell used caging and supples, not animals other than actual rescues. Regardless of the reason for it, the rule says "small rehoming fee is acceptable." What does it say about me or you, as a business person if you flaunt that rule by selling, err rehoming, breeder animals or rare morphs for $100s of dollars. I have done my share of trades on CL, but view any animal sale, err, rehome, with a jaundiced eye. Just my two cents.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
MCMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
We use Craigslist to sell used caging and supples, not animals other than actual rescues. Regardless of the reason for it, the rule says "small rehoming fee is acceptable." What does it say about me or you, as a business person if you flaunt that rule by selling, err rehoming, breeder animals or rare morphs for $100s of dollars. I have done my share of trades on CL, but view any animal sale, err, rehome, with a jaundiced eye. Just my two cents.
I've seen this quite often in the Las Vegas craigslist ads.
Pitbull, chihuaua, and other select dogs are bred like crazy and put up for an "adoption" or "rehoming" fee that ranges in the hundreds.

I think the reason it seems like selling reptiles is more accepted, even though craigslist prohibits the sale of any animals, is because the people who take it upon themselves to actively patrol craigslist and report misuse are looking out for dogs and cats more so than they are for reptiles (there's not as much love for our scaly friends! :c). So a lot of ads that list reptiles for sale are posted without any repercussion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!