frogs in one aquarium question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
sidney613
frogs in one aquarium question

I have one aquarium with a tree frog, 3 toads I caught at the pond, and 2 green and black darts. The frog guy I bought my darts at said it would be ok to stick my tree frog in the same aquarium. Well I have a fire belly toad now. Is he safe to put in with the others? Thank you!

Old 08-24-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
Pug
I would say no to the Firebelly toad. It could possibly be bad if he rubbed up against another frog or newt. I can't remember where, but another site claimed fire bellied amphibians have poinsonous secretions and their colors are to warn that they do.

Perhaps some one with more knowledge will give a more thourough answer.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
Pug
Nevermind that, I found a link to a web site, that site has a little info about the toads from a pet owner perspective, and about half way down there's this:

"They can however potentially damage other species! I got a letter from a visitor who told me that she put a Pac Man Frog twice the size of the firebellied toad in the same tank. Less than 5 minutes later the Pac Man Frog was dead...the toxins in the firebellied toad's skin had killed it!"

Here's the webby: Fire Belly Toad Pet Info

Another piece of info I found by looking up "fire belly toad toxicity" on Google came up with quite a few hits on care and suggestions to not house the toads with other frogs. Reasons other than toxicity include different habitat needs.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
sidney613
firebelly

I went and bought a larger encloser and a female firebelly toad...so they can live together. The other frogs I will keep seperate. Thanks for the info. It was really helpful.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Pug
You're very welcome.

About the Pac Man frog, why would anyone mix the two? The frog would certainly try to eat the toad. Oh well.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
zebeck
Never keep fire bellies with any other amphibian.
Their toxins are intense.

I don't know if i'd be keeping tropical dart frogs with toads of almost any sort either.
Where are these wild caught toads from?

Old 08-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
sidney613
toads

I caught the toads at my dad's pond...I asked the pet store guy about keeping the toads in the same tank, and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I have looked up firebelly toads, and opted to just get them a house of their own...so they are living together by themselves...They make the cutest noises. I heard them for the first time last night. Why do they do that?

Old 08-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #8
zebeck
I see you live in Texas. If that's true than therei s basically only one reason why the toads were in the pond and this is the same reaon you are hearing the noises.
All north american toads are basically terrestrial. They come to water only to breed.
If you catch them while they are breeding they are inturupted and still have their minds on only one thing.
Keeping toads from Texas with dart frogs from Central or South America is a bad idea.
You should separate them.
You may want to consider releasing the toads.
They sometimes don't eat in captivity during the mating period.

EDIT:
did you mean the firebellys were making noises?....sorry I may have read your post too hastily

Old 08-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
sidney613
yes

Yes the firebellies were making noises. I guess i ran all my thoughts together...my toads were not caught IN the pond but in that area...I have watched them eat, and believe me they waste no time chasing down the fruit flies and crickets I put in there. They all have fat little tummies. I have seen my tree frog eat only once...I am hoping he eats while I am at work.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:32 AM   #10
bullcowman
I wouldn't...

Toads of any kind produce poison. It *might* be ok to keep the all in the same enclosure (minus fire bellies) if it is large enough. I'll tell you a sad story:
7 yrs ago I had 2 green anoles that i had worked very hard with to make them tame, so i was pretty attached to them. I had them in a 5 gallon hex(kindof small i know) but any way i put a 2-1/2" toad that i had known for awhile outside in the take. I come home from school later the next day and both my anoles where dead. To say the least i was real pissed at myself, as it didnt take me long to figure out what happened.
Moral of the story: toads are best kept alone because they are poisonous. **So posionous if you where to puta toad in a small soda bottle or something it would die from its own poison (not from experience,btw read it in a book long after the anole incedent)***

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!