Should I get a BTS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Calder
Exclamation Should I get a BTS

I'm thinking about getting a reptile and thought a blue tongue skink would be a good begginer pet. If y'all have any feedback or advice please tell me below.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
MikeV
Bts...

Yes, they're great beginner reptiles. Not just saying that cause I have some for sale either but they really are. Easy, hardy and can easily be tamed. Over 20 yrs later, I still think they're awesome pets-especially for beginners.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
krisym
They are very interesting reptiles. They can be pretty interactive and seem to be pretty intelligent. Besides the enclosure size (recommended 4x2x2), they have relatively easy care; give them a few inches of substrate to burrow in (substrate and humidity needs depend on the species), some hides, and a basking temp around 100. They also can thrive on a diet of grain free canned dog food, but can also be feed a wide variety of foods since they are omnivores.

I would highly recommend getting a captive bred skink for a beginning keeper. Wild caughts usually are around $100 cheaper than captive bred, but there have been many cases of wild caught blue tongues coming in dehydrated, infested with mites, and loaded with parasites (not to mention not always the best attitudes). Many people get the wc skinks and realize they were not prepared for the potential health issues and temperament. However, many wild caught skinks can turn into wonderful captives, but like I said, unless you are prepared to possibly spend a lot of money on treatments and vet visits, then I would pay the extra $100 to get something captive bred.

If you do go wild caught, try to get it from someone reputable (check BOIs), or try to find long-term captives.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Romulusone
Get a Northern. The rest really don't have the personality. Spend no less than $300. Buy it from a breeder with a proven blood line. Give a day in its new enclosure then stick it under your shirt for a couple hours. Stock your fridge.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Calder
Under my shirt?

Do I just let it lay under my shirt on my belly.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
krisym
Don't do the shirt thing. You should leave it alone for a week to let it adjust. Blue tongues are generally pretty chill, but if you need to, use tong feeding to gain trust, do not force handle. Also, if you need breeder recommendations, send me a pm. Tanimbars are usually fiesty, so if you are looking for something calm, I'd recommend a different species (though there are also some calm tanimbars out there, but I wouldn't risk it if you are unsure of the temperament (especially if it's wc)).

Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
hhmoore
Removed from the classifieds.
Please be more careful about the placement of your threads - it only takes a couple of seconds to scroll to the discussion areas.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Calder
Where's the discussion section

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!