Wtf? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Bringerofdoom
Wtf?

ok i dont know what just happened here, i visably checked on all my leo's the 25th, today i went to look at them and my patternless tail is messed up. i dont know wtf happened. it almost looks like she bit it, but i dont know.
it didnt get caught in anything, the cage and setup is pretty safe. i dont leave crickets in the cages for more than 10 mins. its also housed by itself too.

im thinking she bit it, she is a very mean and fiesty leo. im posting this to ask anyone what may have caused this and can i prevent it in the future?

i also want to know is there anything i can possibly help her with. like would she need something special to allow better healing?

please nobody flame me, i shurly didnt mean for this to happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTF.jpg (62.2 KB, 168 views)

Old 11-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
Vince
To me it looks like something that might of happend from a bad shed...like it cut blood flow to the tip of the tail and it died? But I have no idea, if everything else is normal then she will probly be fine

Old 11-27-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
Bringerofdoom
yea it looks like that. i just cant understand how though. all my leos have humid hides. i thought it would take alot longer for something like that to happen it was only was about a whole day i didnt actaully check on her and she was fine.

thanks for the advicevince.

Old 11-27-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
uh oh...

The gecko's tail appears to be burned, and has become necrotic. First thing you need to do is put the gecko on paper towel if it is not already, then check the temperatures of the surface of the hottest spots in the enclosure using a thermometer or a temperature gun. Ideal maximum temperature should be around 92-94*, and should be safe as high as 102, but not recommended.

It also could be a result of an incomplete shed where the residual skin on the end of the tail restricted the blood supply to be cut of and thereby causing dry gangrene.

You will need to keep a very close eye on your gecko to make sure the affected tissue does not continue to spread. If it does, take it to a vet ASAP. In either case, the injured portion of the tail will eventually fall off and will most likely not regenerate.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
Bringerofdoom
there is no way its a burn. i use a home made rack for my leos and the heat is supplied to the back. i have a digital therm measuring temps. i wouldnt think it would have gotten that hot, then bin would be melted

the leo is and has always been on shelf liner with paper towel in her favorite corner for easy clean up. i guess its from a shed, but ill def keep a eye open though.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 PM   #6
Bringerofdoom
marcia thank you very much, i thought about what you said and started testing temps (with my digital therm with probe). shure enough i dont know wtf is causing it, but the board that that cage rest on is getting major league hot in the back bottom section (right below where the dry hide is) and its just on that on cage too, i dont know what went wrong and when it did. looks like i gotta tear that apart and fix stuff now.

i just didnt question it, cause it has worked fine for 3-4 months until now.

i feel bad now im just glad it wasnt worse. i always hear horror stories of thermal stuff failing and totally wiping out racks of reptiles.

im very glad you pointed that out. thank you again.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
whew!

Glad you found the problem before her burn got worse! Keep an eye on her for signs of infection. These things do happen, and I really recommend getting one of those temperatrue guns. I think they are only about $25-35, and they are priceless tools to help catch these things when you use them routinely. I would be lost without mine!

Old 11-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
Bringerofdoom
i have been meaning to get a tempgun, now this just makes it my next thing im buying this week.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
No1snotsucker
[quote=Bringerofdoom] i wouldnt think it would have gotten that hot, then bin would be melted QUOTE]

No it wouldn't. I have a rack that I built that is set to have a hot spot of 105 degrees. All of my sweater boxes are fine and have been for half a year now. The plastic can with stand greater temps than 110 degrees.

Hope your leo fully recovers!!

Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #10
Bringerofdoom
Quote:

No it wouldn't. I have a rack that I built that is set to have a hot spot of 105 degrees. All of my sweater boxes are fine and have been for half a year now. The plastic can with stand greater temps than 110 degrees.

Hope your leo fully recovers!!
Yes, i now figured that out. i just figured if it got hot enough to burn the tail like that, the bin would have been damaged.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!